Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Will my baby do better on formula?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM
  • 40 Replies

He was just diagnosed with reflux?

I did have OAL but that's fixed now.  Just thought maybe my actual milk might be bothering him.  Thoughts?

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:13 AM
How was the reflux diagnosed? Was testing done or was it just based on the symptoms? I'll bet that your OAL isn't completely resolved. What have you done to get it under control?
Reclined/upright positions? Block feeding?

By the way, reflux would be worse with formula because it is so hard on the baby's stomach.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Koux
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM
Agreed! There are better options to try first - block feeding, keep baby upright after feedings, feed frequently (so he doesn't gulp)... Formula should be a last resort, as there is a possibility it could make things much worse. Talk to your doc about baby Zantac, too. I know several babies who were completely cured on the stuff. Do make sure it's actual reflux, though, and not just spit up. Zantac actually made my babies' spit up worse. If he's a "happy spitter", it's not much to worry about.
thriftymom35
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM

Quoting aehanrahan:

How was the reflux diagnosed? Was testing done or was it just based on the symptoms? I'll bet that your OAL isn't completely resolved. What have you done to get it under control?
Reclined/upright positions? Block feeding?

By the way, reflux would be worse with formula because it is so hard on the baby's stomach.

Well, basically I did block feed and we have always nursed side lying.  He is only eating on left side now and I just pump my right side.  I think right side might dry up and i dont really care because he is doing so well being on one breast.  He drinks soft and slow now, for a long period.  I know he's not getting drowned anymore.  This is the third day taking only left breast.  I pumped it and its not spraying.  They just diagnosed him based on symptoms.  My husband seems to think all DS problems are linked to my breast milk.  SMH.

thriftymom35
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Quoting Koux:

Agreed! There are better options to try first - block feeding, keep baby upright after feedings, feed frequently (so he doesn't gulp)... Formula should be a last resort, as there is a possibility it could make things much worse. Talk to your doc about baby Zantac, too. I know several babies who were completely cured on the stuff. Do make sure it's actual reflux, though, and not just spit up. Zantac actually made my babies' spit up worse. If he's a "happy spitter", it's not much to worry about.

He never spits up.  We tried Zantac and it made him vomit.  That stuff is effing nasty.  We are waiting for insurance to approve Prevacid.  Doc said he can have reflux without spitting up.  I'm on the fence as to whether he has reflux, but I figure if the medicine helps his fussiness then it must be that.  Have to wait and see. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Quoting thriftymom35:

Well, basically I did block feed and we have always nursed side lying.  He is only eating on left side now and I just pump my right side.  I think right side might dry up and i dont really care because he is doing so well being on one breast.  He drinks soft and slow now, for a long period.  I know he's not getting drowned anymore.  This is the third day taking only left breast.  I pumped it and its not spraying.  They just diagnosed him based on symptoms.  My husband seems to think all DS problems are linked to my breast milk.  SMH.

Husbands are there to be ignored, you know. **grin** Formula would make baby WORSE. You're over the hump. 

If babny is gaining well, then it's merely "happy spitter" and nothing to worry about.

MamiSI
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:38 AM
My daughter had silent reflux, she clearly had pain and discomfort. She had trouble nursing she would arch her back during feedings and come on and off the breast . Zantac work for her first they gave it to her in this mint flavor that was gross then I asked the pharmasist to make in cherry still gross but better. It took about a week or so and her symptoms subsided. At six months she didnt need it anymore. formulas for reflux have rice added you can do this with you own milk if it comes down to it. Hopefully the meds help.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:17 AM
1 mom liked this
If it is diagnosed based on symptoms, I don't trust the diagnosis. Most doctors aren't educated in breastfeeding, so they don't know the issues that come with it. OAL/OS are the most common cause of reflux symptoms, but doctors don't know, so they say reflux and prescribe medications when position changes and block feeding can usually resolve the issues.

Keep up with the positions and it should get better soon.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed. I have yet to find a pediatrician who knew what OAL was and how pervasive the effects are. The potential lifelong side effects of ppi's would have me considering that as the absolutely last resort after a comprehensive diagnosis by a pediatric GI doc.

Quoting aehanrahan:

If it is diagnosed based on symptoms, I don't trust the diagnosis. Most doctors aren't educated in breastfeeding, so they don't know the issues that come with it. OAL/OS are the most common cause of reflux symptoms, but doctors don't know, so they say reflux and prescribe medications when position changes and block feeding can usually resolve the issues.

Keep up with the positions and it should get better soon.
thriftymom35
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 5:42 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting thriftymom35:

Husbands are there to be ignored, you know. **grin** Formula would make baby WORSE. You're over the hump. 

If babny is gaining well, then it's merely "happy spitter" and nothing to worry about.

He's gaining alright......he was born 8 lbs 10 oz and now he's 12 lbs at 6 weeks old!!

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:17 AM
Do ask to a referral to a pediatric GI. And I agree that the OAL/ oversupply was probably present, especially with that weight gain--we only look for an average of a pound a month. His gain will move toward that with the slowing down of the OAL.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)