Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Donor milk... Agree or disagree?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM
  • 42 Replies
3 moms liked this
I have always been very pro breast feeding. I always said that if I couldn't nurse, I'd put my baby on formula before I'd trust donor milk. Then when I got pregnant when my daughter was only 3 months, I just knew I had to put her on donor milk. So we used donor milk and I nursed ( for comfort since I produced nothing after I got pregnant ) until she was 12 months and then I had my son. So now I pump and will be donating to a 5th baby this weekend!
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:22 AM
1 mom liked this
Wonderful! Way to pay it forward!
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Sep. 12, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Thats wonderful! Thanks for sharing!
jessymoka
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:01 AM
1 mom liked this
I've also donated my milk to another child, besides my own.
I feel very honored and humble that another mother would trust my milk so much to give it to their own precious child.
I feel like donating milk blessed me just as much as it blessed them, if not more.

Kudos to you for paying it forward. :0)
lucydiamond
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 1:03 AM
Im all for donor milk. I would even nurse another woman's child directly if necessary.
jolou
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:06 AM

I'm for it generally, but personally would only accept milk either from a bank or from someone I knew personally - not from a stranger.

Donation wise the same goes - I would donate to a bank or to someone I knew, or I would feed someone else's baby directly, but I would not donate to someone unknown. That said, no-one would want my donated milk as I'm on medication, and even drink occasionally, lol. Not to mention that most people I know find the fact that I bf my toddler weird, let alone the idea of donor milk (but obviously, offering their whole family milk from another creature entirely is perfectly normal)!

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:11 AM
9 moms liked this
It is ironic how we don't think twice from drinking milk from an entirely different animal. And we've been so accepting of formula and think of it as clean and tested because it was created in a laboratory, which isnt true as we see bacterial outbreaks and conramination quite often. Yet everyone gets squeamish about a breastfeeding mother sharing her milk with another baby.

Quoting jolou:

I'm for it generally, but personally would only accept milk either from a bank or from someone I knew personally - not from a stranger.

Donation wise the same goes - I would donate to a bank or to someone I knew, or I would feed someone else's baby directly, but I would not donate to someone unknown. That said, no-one would want my donated milk as I'm on medication, and even drink occasionally, lol. Not to mention that most people I know find the fact that I bf my toddler weird, let alone the idea of donor milk (but obviously, offering their whole family milk from another creature entirely is perfectly normal)!

micheledo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:14 AM

I've thought the exact same thing!!  . . . And yet, I still would have a hard time trusting a stranger's milk.  I think if my baby needed it, I would.  But . . . 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

It is ironic how we don't think twice from drinking milk from an entirely different animal. And we've been so accepting of formula and think of it as clean and tested because it was created in a laboratory, which isnt true as we see bacterial outbreaks and conramination quite often. Yet everyone gets squeamish about a breastfeeding mother sharing her milk with another baby.

Quoting jolou:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:33 AM
It's a knee jerk reaction to be skeptical about another mother's milk. It's not "normal" in our culture so we question it. A couple years ago there were a lot of stories about the milk sharing groups on Facebook and the "hidden dangers", etc etc. You'd think with stories like that that they were talking about all these babies falling ill or dying after milk exposure and i dont think there was one, it's hypothetical. Yet babies do die every year from formula contamination. Our perception of the risks are misplaced. But that's how the media portrays it so that's our automatic response.

Quoting micheledo:

I've thought the exact same thing!!  . . . And yet, I still would have a hard time trusting a stranger's milk.  I think if my baby needed it, I would.  But . . . 

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting jolou:

jmurn
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:37 AM
1 mom liked this

Wow - that's amazing! Donor milk is all about trust. You're giving a huge gift! 

Joanna | Eleanor's Mom | Jeff's Wife | Blogger www.makingmine.com | Westie Lover | Cupcake Junkie | Wannabe Runner | Teacher in Progress |

hnischke
by Heather on Sep. 12, 2013 at 10:56 AM
I had a massive over supply. Since I EP I never really regulated down for about 7 months. I had almost 1,000 oz extra in the freezer. I have donated about 400 oz so far. I need to go back through and probably donate another 300-400 oz. My son's 1st birthday is today and I'm still pumping enough for him. And I'm not afraid of my supply dropping anymore.

If something were to happen I told my husband donor milk first. Formula as a last resort.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN