Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

About to throw in the towel...

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM
  • 17 Replies
Aiden's almost 15 months old now. He's nursing almost all day long. He was waking up twice at night for a really quick nursing session. Then he would crawl back over to his side carred crib and go back to sleep. Now, he is waking up every half an hour at night! It wouldn't be horrible except when he's twilight nursing he's nibbling on my nipple so I can't sleep. Every time I unlatch him he wakes up. I'm going to give it a week to see if it's teething or a growth spurt... but if we can't get it under control this kiddo is cut off at night time. Gently of course.

My question is... how do you deal with the crying during night weaning. I've always nursed him on demand and I don't want him to cry out for it :(
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:05 AM
There is a wonderful night weaning method at drjaygordon.com. Very gentle, and highly recommended by moms on this site!
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:09 AM
I think mine were closer to 18 months when I hit my wall and had to night wean. I just pretended to be asleep (with my hands clutching my shirt to avoid self-service) and whispered, "shhh. Mommy is sleeping, milk is sleeping, go to sleep baby) and I'd try to cuddle them. If they continued to protest I'd roll and face away from them. *That* never went over well so they learned if they wanted the cuddles than they had to quit the tantrum so I'd roll back over.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:11 AM
That may work. And it will fix the other problem... middle of the night nipple twiddling!! I have to hold one boob while he's nursing the other to keep him from it. I just hope he doesn't freak out too much :(

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I think mine were closer to 18 months when I hit my wall and had to night wean. I just pretended to be asleep (with my hands clutching my shirt to avoid self-service) and whispered, "shhh. Mommy is sleeping, milk is sleeping, go to sleep baby) and I'd try to cuddle them. If they continued to protest I'd roll and face away from them. *That* never went over well so they learned if they wanted the cuddles than they had to quit the tantrum so I'd roll back over.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:17 AM
Aaaargh, the dreaded nipple twiddling! I swear, worst habit ever. You might need to sleep in a suit of armor. You might want to start cutting of access after 3 am or something and then dial back until you've cut all the night access. I want to add that while I cut the night feedings I still always nursed to sleep. And prior to the 18 months, I never denied nursing, day or night. I just hit that point where I was soooo touched out at night if I didn't night wean I might have weaned all together.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

That may work. And it will fix the other problem... middle of the night nipple twiddling!! I have to hold one boob while he's nursing the other to keep him from it. I just hope he doesn't freak out too much :(

Quoting mostlymaydays:

pinkfairy0206
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM
I went through the same thing with my son. he is 2 1/2, and we just stopped nursing just over a month ago. he would do exactly the same thing your son does. I swear it must be a boys thing! my three daughters and never did this, when they stopped that was it they stopped! Lol. it did take some time, but after a few days he was totally good. he still wakes up once in awhile during the night but its not as bad, as it was when he was nursing.
pinkfairy0206
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM
ah, the infamous hand in the shirt! Lol! my little guy still does that, when we just stopped he would try to pull it out to,lol.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

jmurn
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Wow - congrats on making it 15 months! I'm really hoping I can make it a year. My little one is teething, and I'm already frustrated. I'm interested to see what advice others have for you! It's nice to have an idea what's ahead :)

Joanna | Eleanor's Mom | Jeff's Wife | Blogger www.makingmine.com | Westie Lover | Cupcake Junkie | Wannabe Runner | Teacher in Progress |

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I am going through the same thing. I hate the chewing, it is driving me crazy. I pretend I dont hear him. After a few nights he has been falling back asleep without too much protest. I dont remember my first one nursing this long at night.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:48 AM
I always try to sort of ignore him to see if he's just getting comfortable and needs to wiggle and fuss a little. Usually though it either turns into a full cry or he sits up and tries to climb out of bed :/

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

I am going through the same thing. I hate the chewing, it is driving me crazy. I pretend I dont hear him. After a few nights he has been falling back asleep without too much protest. I dont remember my first one nursing this long at night.

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:51 AM

Mine too! Same age too!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I always try to sort of ignore him to see if he's just getting comfortable and needs to wiggle and fuss a little. Usually though it either turns into a full cry or he sits up and tries to climb out of bed :/

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)