Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How long did you keep waking up your baby to eat?

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM
  • 35 Replies

It feels like sometimes I'm waiting till he has just gotten settled and peacefully sleeping to start harassing him to wake up and nurse to fit in the advised every 2-3 hours.  We do go about five hours off once at night.  He's two weeks.  He had jaundice at first so I was told to pump and supplement and since then I just still feel extra unsure about trusting his cues and knowing how much to harass him to eat.  He also has plenty of diapers (lol 19 yesterday).

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 6:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SentRegards
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Ive heard you never wake a sleeping baby... but hey do what you need to do, mine always cried a little & I woke up to feed him (on demand)
SentRegards
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM
They say to empty one boob, to get the fore milk and hind milk, that's all they need per feeding
mama-smurf
by Felisha on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:01 PM
Nurse on demand. Nursing cues are rooting, crying, fussiness, waving arms. Round, shaking head back and forth. U do not need to supplement for jaundice. Breastmilk is what he needs to stop the jaundice.
justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:03 PM
I've never woken a baby to eat.
nocalmegan
by Bronze Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:04 PM
1 mom liked this
As far as I know you do not need do supplement. Lexi had jaundice and she's never had a drop of formula. You don't need to wake him up to eat in most cases. If he's hungry he should be letting you know.
JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM

I only wake up if they are jaundiced.  Once the jaundice goes away I no longer wake them to eat.

Ptitchou
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:06 PM
Only one night. She had blood sugar issues. :)
lello
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:09 PM

I was supplementing breastmilk in a bottle not formula thus the whole "pumping and supplementing" I wrote.  (beyond a couple of days when I had hardly any supply yet)  He was literally falling asleep almost as soon as he was at the breast and I think the bottle did help him to get some milk and flush out the jaundice quicker.  It wasn't my ideal situation to introduce the bottle that soon but I'm glad the jaundice is gone and he seems to be a lot stronger and better nurser.  I'm asking about waking him up though because I got used to seeing him as too sleepy to eat when he had the jaundice.

GodsAmiga
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:10 PM

I never woke them and I don't wake my 5 month old. :-) He had jaundice but I still didn't wake him up at night. The only time I have are the times when I've had mastitis. Then I had him nurse frequently until it went away.

justone_jen
by Jen on Sep. 12, 2013 at 7:12 PM
I never woke mine. Count diapers. If you're seeing 6 (poop =2) in a 24 hour period, you're fine. I would only wake if you're not seeing diapers.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN