Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

EBF 3 month old and new gas/poop issue, TMI? Help!

Posted by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 14 Replies

My EBF son just turned three months, and has had 'normal' non-stinky gas/poops daily, pretty much since birth.

Yesterday, for the first time ever, he didnt poop all day. I wasnt really concerned.

Today he has has disgusting smelling gas, smells like putrid McDonalds fries or something else equally as nasty. Like a grown man.

He finally pooped but it was almost like peanut butter consistency and brown/yellow. No where near his normal runny yellow BM's.

What in the heck could be causing this?? Im half tempted to think his daycare fed him some food or something, even though I dont really think they did.

by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:56 PM
It could just be from him not pooping for a day, but it's far more likely that he was he'd something other than bm. Sorry.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Sep. 12, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Sounds like when DS started solids. =\
hnischke
by Heather on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:01 PM
My son's first birthday was today. He just started getting that type of poop last week since he's liking solids more.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:16 PM
By the time each of my 4 hit 9-12 weeks they were only pooping once every 3-10 days. And yes, the gas starts smelling worse. All normal. As is the thicker consistency, which I think might be because the water in the stool is absorbed back into the body on the slow trip, whereas that fast moving poop doesn't have time to lose water. I wouldn't worry unless the poop was hard dark pellets. There us no need for juices or karo syrup (botulism risk, btw) and no need for putting qtips or thermometers up the butt, no need for suppositories. Just keep nursing and prepare for a massive poopy blowout when it's most inconvenient.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:18 PM
I want to add that you should mention the sudden change in poop to the daycare and ask them if its possible he was inadvertently given a bottle of formula or rice cereal or something.
melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:19 PM
This

Quoting mostlymaydays:

By the time each of my 4 hit 9-12 weeks they were only pooping once every 3-10 days. And yes, the gas starts smelling worse. All normal. As is the thicker consistency, which I think might be because the water in the stool is absorbed back into the body on the slow trip, whereas that fast moving poop doesn't have time to lose water. I wouldn't worry unless the poop was hard dark pellets. There us no need for juices or karo syrup (botulism risk, btw) and no need for putting qtips or thermometers up the butt, no need for suppositories. Just keep nursing and prepare for a massive poopy blowout when it's most inconvenient.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 12, 2013 at 9:38 PM

This, but do mention it to daycare.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Kristen.Marie
by Member on Sep. 12, 2013 at 11:04 PM
Im so upset to think he could have been given food or formula. I just am so upset, and dont think i will ever know for sure what happened.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:24 AM
He is of age to go a few days even without pooping. Just keep nursing him and remind the daycare not to give him anything but your milk. Is it possible your own dairy intake has increased a bit? That would cause these symptoms also, at least it did with my DD.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:18 AM

Actually, I'm reading all normal here. It's one of the (many) things they don't tell you about babies. (The PR machine is DARNED good... otherwise the baby population would be a lot lower!)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)