Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

BAD sinus infection..Please help

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:32 AM
  • 10 Replies

What can I take that won't decrease my supply and is safe for DD? I have a sinus infection so bad that my whole right side of my face hurts down to my teeth :'( I really need something

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:37 AM
Antibiotics that they would give you are safe. Tylenol, advil, etc are fine. Sudafed can cause a supply decrease in about 30 percent of women.

if you haven't tried a neti pot or sinus rinse bottle, try it. You can get them at walmart, target, walgreens, etc, by the cold medicines. Also, grt a gallon of distilled water. We warm water slightly in the microwave then mix it with the nasal rinse packet and use that. Basically, you pour or squirt water in one nostril, through your sinuses, and out the other side. It helps to rinse all of that junk out. Our ENT highly recommends them.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:20 AM

Pretty much anything you take will be OK. You have to take a LOT of decongestant for it to have any kind of long term impact on supply. Short term is always recoverable.

coffeemom37043
by Dare on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Do you think it would help if I took it and Fenugreek at the same time? I really don't want to hurt my supply =[ that is like one of my worst fears right now

Quoting gdiamante:

Pretty much anything you take will be OK. You have to take a LOT of decongestant for it to have any kind of long term impact on supply. Short term is always recoverable.

Cafe Jenn
by Head Admin on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Use a Neti-Pot twice a day. It sounds gross but made a huge difference for me last year when I didn't want to take anything else to avoid the possibility of hurting my supply. 

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:13 AM
You can take whatever the doctor suggests, or regular cold medicine. Especially if you only take it in the morning and before bed when you want to feel at your best.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 11:16 AM

Netti pot.  Unless you've had the infection for more than 2 weeks, it is likely viral and antibiotics aren't suggested.  I would also use decongestants.  They can dry you out, but if you drink plenty of water you should be fine.  There might be a slight dip, but baby will bring it right back once you get to feeling better.

Good luck!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:30 PM

You can take the med and the fenugreek.

sasismommy
by on Sep. 14, 2013 at 9:22 PM

Pump ahead and take some meds,,,,,,,,,,a sinus infection that bad needs and antibiotic, and you cant do anything for your baby sick

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 15, 2013 at 3:36 AM

Take whatever helps. Increase your fluid intake and get a lot of rest.

collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Sep. 15, 2013 at 11:53 AM
I've had several sinus infections while nursing. My allergist gives me an antibiotic that's safe for nursing (there are quite a few, most actually, that are safe)

What I found is if I took Claritin I was super super super thirsty all day. So just stay hydrated if you take that....& watch out for products with aspirin in them, don't take those
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)