Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

worried about pump supply

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM
  • 22 Replies
I was instructed to pump to start saving milk for when I return to work. And I'm nursing first pumping second. It's been 5 days and I'm barely getting anything. In last 2 days (5 pumping sessions) I've barely gotten 1 1/2 oz total. I'm eating oatmeal and taking fenugreek. Do I need to try pumping before he eats? (This morning I pumped right side 2 hours after he nursed that side an didn't even get enough to cover bottom of bottle) I thought it was the pump wic gave, its the single user madela, but I tried the other electric pump I had used (a few weeks ago used it an was getting 1-2 oz each side) and my manual and I'm not getting any better results. I'm just lost and confused! Oh a.d I drink !tleast 12 glasses of water a day not including juice and milk that I drink.
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
queenb87
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:15 AM
I'm worried I won't be able to pump enough to keep up when I go back to work.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM
Try pumping on one side while he nurses on the other first thing in the morning.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM
What pumps do you have?
queenb87
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:52 AM
I have an at most I get .5 oz

Quoting K8wizzo:

Try pumping on one side while he nurses on the other first thing in the morning.

queenb87
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 8:54 AM
An evenflo comfort (which I was getting great results until I was told to quit pumping for a few weeks) a madela manual and a madela (not sure of which one) in a bag that wic gave me its a single user double pump.

Quoting K8wizzo:

What pumps do you have?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:30 AM

The Evenflo is a HORRIBLE pump. DOn't use it any more. Seriously! It's called the nipple shredder for a reason!

Pump in the MORNING while nursing baby. Baby one side, pump on the other. Store. You don't need to store much. 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour is ALL that's needed and less is better than more. The idea that the bottle *just* tides baby over... he should be RAVENOUS when you get home. If you have enough milk for Day 1, you have plenty. One day's pumping is the next day's feedng. No need for a big stash; big stashes encourage overfeeding.

Normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces altogether.

If the Medela still isn't putting a lot out call the manufacturer. There's probably a problem with the pump itself and they can walk you through troubleshooting. There are little bitty things that can make a difference.

Quoting queenb87:

An evenflo comfort (which I was getting great results until I was told to quit pumping for a few weeks) a madela manual and a madela (not sure of which one) in a bag that wic gave me its a single user double pump.

queenb87
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM
My main concern is that ill go back to work and the 2 times ill pump a day I won't produce enough for the next day. If I'm only getting a half oz combine at each pumping that's only 1 oz a day and ill be away for 6 hours. That just won't be enough. And that's what I'm getting when I pump before he nurses.

Quoting gdiamante:

The Evenflo is a HORRIBLE pump. DOn't use it any more. Seriously! It's called the nipple shredder for a reason!

Pump in the MORNING while nursing baby. Baby one side, pump on the other. Store. You don't need to store much. 1 - 1.25 ounces per hour is ALL that's needed and less is better than more. The idea that the bottle *just* tides baby over... he should be RAVENOUS when you get home. If you have enough milk for Day 1, you have plenty. One day's pumping is the next day's feedng. No need for a big stash; big stashes encourage overfeeding.

Normal pump output is half an ounce to two ounces altogether.

If the Medela still isn't putting a lot out call the manufacturer. There's probably a problem with the pump itself and they can walk you through troubleshooting. There are little bitty things that can make a difference.

Quoting queenb87:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 13, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Part of the practice of pumping while nursing is to increase pump response. Start doing it for every AM session for now. The more you do it, the better you do. 

And that will be a permanent routine. If you're nursing in the morning, you're on the pump too. I found it a requirement to keep up with what I needed.

You'll only need six ounces a day, fortunately. And possibly less than that. You nurse before you leave, nurse the instant you get back. Encourage reverse cycling... he tanks up when you're home and takes next to nothing from the bottle.

Quoting queenb87:

My main concern is that ill go back to work and the 2 times ill pump a day I won't produce enough for the next day. If I'm only getting a half oz combine at each pumping that's only 1 oz a day and ill be away for 6 hours. That just won't be enough. And that's what I'm getting when I pump before he nurses.

queenb87
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:15 AM
I was told to pump every 2-3 hrs should I do it before or after he nurses? And if pump and "drain" my breast will it keep him from getting what he needs if he's hungry and nurses like 15 minutes later?

Quoting gdiamante:

Part of the practice of pumping while nursing is to increase pump response. Start doing it for every AM session for now. The more you do it, the better you do. 

And that will be a permanent routine. If you're nursing in the morning, you're on the pump too. I found it a requirement to keep up with what I needed.

You'll only need six ounces a day, fortunately. And possibly less than that. You nurse before you leave, nurse the instant you get back. Encourage reverse cycling... he tanks up when you're home and takes next to nothing from the bottle.

Quoting queenb87:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 13, 2013 at 10:21 AM
Even the best pumps can't get as much milk as a baby, pkus your breasts are never empty... they are always making milk. Pumping before nursing isn't a problem at all. Vaby might be a little mad because he has to work harder but he will get what he needs.

Quoting queenb87:

I was told to pump every 2-3 hrs should I do it before or after he nurses? And if pump and "drain" my breast will it keep him from getting what he needs if he's hungry and nurses like 15 minutes later?

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting queenb87:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN