Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

*Face Palm* Really? Again?

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM
  • 49 Replies

Well, apparently Elliot's iron is low...again. He had a doctor's appt today. He had to have two shots. I wasn't aware he had to have shots today. Anyway, the doctor wasn't on our case about his weight, thank God, but was concerned by his iron levels. They did a finger prick and I think it was a 10.2? Anyway, she once again said I needed to stop breastfeeding. I mentioned that the WHO recommended breastfeeding until at least two. She pointed out the fact that if I'm not getting enough nutrients than neither is he when I breastfeed. He doesn't eat veggies much if at all simply because we don't have any in the house cause no one eats them. I guess I'll have to go buy him his own veggies. >.>

Oh, and she also said his teeth were starting to rot. She said no more letting him run around the house with a sippy. Oops. I didn't realize his teeth were that bad! I brush them, usually, once a day.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:18 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:21 PM
10.2 is normal. Very high for a finger prick too. I would just ignore everything he says. He doesn't know what he's talking about.
KylersMom8-16-7
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:26 PM
1 mom liked this
Finger pricks aren't accurate at all.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:27 PM

Well, his pedi is a She. lol. And that's high? She said it was low.

Quoting Junebaby18:

10.2 is normal. Very high for a finger prick too. I would just ignore everything he says. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

CafeMom Tickers

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:34 PM
Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Well, his pedi is a She. lol. And that's high? She said it was low.

Quoting Junebaby18:10.2 is normal. Very high for a finger prick too. I would just ignore everything he says. He doesn't know what he's talking about.

Normal is 9.5-14. 10.2 is slightly low, but for a finger prick its normal. Finger pricks are never accurate.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:35 PM
1 mom liked this
If you let him walk around with a sippy cup, make sure there is only water in it.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

Yeah, that's the mistake I made. I was letting him walk around with milk in his sippy on ocassion. Normally, I just put water in it though.

Quoting Junebaby18:

If you let him walk around with a sippy cup, make sure there is only water in it.

CafeMom Tickers

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 12:52 PM
5 moms liked this

YOu should all be eating more veggies.  In this house if we don't have veggies it is crisis.  

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Well, apparently Elliot's iron is low...again. He had a doctor's appt today. He had to have two shots. I wasn't aware he had to have shots today. Anyway, the doctor wasn't on our case about his weight, thank God, but was concerned by his iron levels. They did a finger prick and I think it was a 10.2? Finger pricks tend to read low. Anyway, she once again said I needed to stop breastfeeding. I mentioned that the WHO recommended breastfeeding until at least two. She pointed out the fact that if I'm not getting enough nutrients than neither is he when I breastfeed. Cow's milk has fewer nutrients than breastmilk and even women in third world countries who subsist on rice still make perfect breastmilk.  He doesn't eat veggies much if at all simply because we don't have any in the house cause no one eats them. I guess I'll have to go buy him his own veggies. >.> Try getting everyone to eat some veggies.  The Sneaky Chef cookbook is great--you puree them and sneak them into other foods in small amounts so that you don't taste them but you still get the nutritional benefits and fiber.  As you get used to small amounts in food you can start to increase them.  Also, trying different preparation techniques might help.  We love roasted broccoli--it tastes completely different from fresh or steamed broccoli.  Stir-fried veggies in sauce might be yummy for you guys, or maybe try them with different dips?

Oh, and she also said his teeth were starting to rot. She said no more letting him run around the house with a sippy. Oops. I didn't realize his teeth were that bad! I brush them, usually, once a day.Brush twice a day or after he eats each time, water only in the sippy.

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:09 PM

Thanks. I typically brush his teeth once a day, right before bed. It is SUCH a hassle getting his teeth brushed. He absolutely HATES it.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Well, apparently Elliot's iron is low...again. He had a doctor's appt today. He had to have two shots. I wasn't aware he had to have shots today. Anyway, the doctor wasn't on our case about his weight, thank God, but was concerned by his iron levels. They did a finger prick and I think it was a 10.2? Finger pricks tend to read low. Anyway, she once again said I needed to stop breastfeeding. I mentioned that the WHO recommended breastfeeding until at least two. She pointed out the fact that if I'm not getting enough nutrients than neither is he when I breastfeed. Cow's milk has fewer nutrients than breastmilk and even women in third world countries who subsist on rice still make perfect breastmilk.  He doesn't eat veggies much if at all simply because we don't have any in the house cause no one eats them. I guess I'll have to go buy him his own veggies. >.> Try getting everyone to eat some veggies.  The Sneaky Chef cookbook is great--you puree them and sneak them into other foods in small amounts so that you don't taste them but you still get the nutritional benefits and fiber.  As you get used to small amounts in food you can start to increase them.  Also, trying different preparation techniques might help.  We love roasted broccoli--it tastes completely different from fresh or steamed broccoli.  Stir-fried veggies in sauce might be yummy for you guys, or maybe try them with different dips?

Oh, and she also said his teeth were starting to rot. She said no more letting him run around the house with a sippy. Oops. I didn't realize his teeth were that bad! I brush them, usually, once a day.Brush twice a day or after he eats each time, water only in the sippy.

CafeMom Tickers

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:18 PM

So did my boys, but it's just one of those things that you have to do for their own good, you know?  Bathing and buckling into carseats were other struggles here at certain points in time.  I had them brush their teeth by themselves and then I would "check" them.  Now that they're a bit older, they brush all by themselves in the morning before school and I still check at night and brush them myself then.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Thanks. I typically brush his teeth once a day, right before bed. It is SUCH a hassle getting his teeth brushed. He absolutely HATES it.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN