Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

12 month old and going back to work monday

Posted by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM
  • 7 Replies

So my son is 12 months old. He doesnt nurse at night and only 3-4 times during the day. How fast will my milk dry up since I wont be pumping at work. Also since he has slowed nursing  himself I shouldnt get engorged to much? I wll nurse him in the morning as usual and if he asked when I get home from work.

by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:38 PM
I would pack a pump just in case you do get engorged for the first few weeks (and only pump to comfort). You won't dry up if he's allowed to nurse at home. But it will take a few weeks to regulate to the new demand.
katiesing
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Ok good I am not ready to stop nursing him since he could be our last. He is slowly self weaning has been since 11 months so I am thinking me being gone will push him to stop but I could be wrong. 

Quoting audmom1218:

I would pack a pump just in case you do get engorged for the first few weeks (and only pump to comfort). You won't dry up if he's allowed to nurse at home. But it will take a few weeks to regulate to the new demand.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:42 PM
Bring a pump just in case your engorgement is painful. Your milk won't dry up unless he stops nursing entirely. Since you are nursing so infrequently, you won't be nearly as engorged as you would be if you were nursing ten times a day, but it will still be there the first few days at least.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 1:43 PM
He might start nursing more since you'll be gone so much.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 13, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Quoting katiesing:

So my son is 12 months old. He doesnt nurse at night and only 3-4 times during the day. How fast will my milk dry up since I wont be pumping at work.

A year or longer. 

Also since he has slowed nursing  himself I shouldnt get engorged to much? I wll nurse him in the morning as usual and if he asked when I get home from work.

If you want to continue nursing at home you can. Or not. After weaning uit takes a year or more to dry up milk unless you take steps to spee dthe process, such as taking estrogen birth control.

katiesing
by on Sep. 13, 2013 at 4:27 PM

If you want to continue nursing at home you can. Or not. After weaning uit takes a year or more to dry up milk unless you take steps to spee dthe process, such as taking estrogen birth control.

Yea we wont take any steps to dry it up. I am not a fan of birth control.

isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 13, 2013 at 7:12 PM
My son is 15 months. I stopped pumping at 13 months. I could still pump a lot if I needed too. You will be fine. Take a pump if you need it. Just nurse at home. Have a good first day back.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)