Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

From breast to bottle

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM
  • 10 Replies

I'm going back to school next week and I've been exclusively breastfeeding since our son was born at the end of June, but when I tried to give him a bottle of pumped milk recently he wouldn't have any of it. It might just have been the type of bottle because he kind of gagged a little, so I think it was coming out too fast.

I took care of my nephew a few years back when my sister went back to work and he was a breastfed baby who also refused to take a bottle, it was awful, he was hungry all day long and I felt so bad for him, I don't want that to happen again, I need some serious advice here. Thanks in advance.

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:00 AM

It may be the way you are feeding him. You need to sit him up and the bottle should be parallel to the floor. That way it will not pour in his mouth and he will not gag. Also, use slow flow nipples. Have someone else feed him, my sons would never take a bottle from me. Anyone else they would.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:04 AM
Give the bottle to your husband and leave. No EBF baby wants to take a bottle when the breast is right next time. Go out shopping or get a haircut.. be gone for a few hours. Then he will either take it or not. There is no forcing it.
Irish_mama_2011
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:05 AM

My son wouldn't take it from his dad either and my nephew wouldn't take it from anyone, but I will try the slow flow nipple and that position, I was thinking of giving him one bottle of pumped milk a day to get him used to it.

Quoting isaacsmommy68:

It may be the way you are feeding him. You need to sit him up and the bottle should be parallel to the floor. That way it will not pour in his mouth and he will not gag. Also, use slow flow nipples. Have someone else feed him, my sons would never take a bottle from me. Anyone else they would.

Irish_mama_2011
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:09 AM

My husband acts like my breast milk is gold, so he hates using it if I'm here or basically I don't have to be gone. Our son eats a lot, he will nurse every hour some times, and I know he's getting enough because he is gaining weight very quickly, so some times it's hard finding time to pump. When I do pump I get a lot though, I can usually get 7-8 ounces the first time I pump during the day.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Give the bottle to your husband and leave. No EBF baby wants to take a bottle when the breast is right next time. Go out shopping or get a haircut.. be gone for a few hours. Then he will either take it or not. There is no forcing it.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:27 AM
1 mom liked this

More than likely it's because YOU were giving the bottle. Generally for operation bottle, mom needs to be out of the house entirely.

I call it the "Stale Cookie" scenario. You go visit your mom and smell your favorite cookies, fresh out of the oven. When you try to snag one, mom raps your hand with her wooden spoon and throws a box of stale wafers at you for a snack.

You'd think mom was nuts, right?

Your breast: Fresh cookies.

Bottle: Stale wafers.

Baby's got a VERY keen nose, keener than yours or mine. He knows where the good stuff is.

When TRULY hungry, they eat. We know plenty of babies, however, who merely reverse cycle. They take nothing when mom's gone and tank up when she's there. Not harmful. In fact, desired.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:29 AM
1 mom liked this

No such thing as getting them used to it. They take it or not. We've seen lots of babies get daily bottles to "get used to it" nbut then they refuse and mom doesn't understand why.

For a baby, the "bottle clock" resets every morning. Doesn'[t matter what they did yeaterday or last week. Babies live "in the now" and if baby doesn't want the bottle "now" it won't be taken no matter what you've done before.

So save the milk for when you need it. Getting him used to it is just an exercise in frustration and could well waste milk. 

Quoting Irish_mama_2011:

My son wouldn't take it from his dad either and my nephew wouldn't take it from anyone, but I will try the slow flow nipple and that position, I was thinking of giving him one bottle of pumped milk a day to get him used to it.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 16, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My guy is 7 weeks and has never had a bottle, he wont til I go back to work..it takes some getting used to for them since its different frm the breast and different from MOM.  Training them beforehand isnt necessary though, bottles are easy..its more of a mental thing for them

Irish_mama_2011
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 3:03 PM

I was also thinking about getting a medela calma bottle because it's supposed to be more like the breast and supposedly an easier transition, but like the other reply said, it's not like fresh from the tap lol!

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

My guy is 7 weeks and has never had a bottle, he wont til I go back to work..it takes some getting used to for them since its different frm the breast and different from MOM.  Training them beforehand isnt necessary though, bottles are easy..its more of a mental thing for them

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 4:07 PM
1 mom liked this
Look up "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com. All the information you'll need, and print a copy for Dad or other caregivers.
Irish_mama_2011
by Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 6:59 PM

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Look up "Bottlefeeding the Breastfed Baby" on kellymom.com. All the information you'll need, and print a copy for Dad or other caregivers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)