Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is this reverse cycling?

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM
  • 9 Replies
My ds turned 4 months on the 5th. I went back to work 2 days before that. He was sleeping decent, 8pm to 7am waking once or twice to eat and right back to sleep. Ever since I started back at work he's up multiple times a night (at least 4/6 a night). He's with family during the day and he drinks 2-3 4oz bottles of bm while I'm away. This has been going on for almost 3 weeks now and I'm a zombie. I have a preschooler too so it's not like I can nap after work, plus SO works some evenings so I'm alone with both kids. I don't think it's a growth spurt or teething (I've tried Tylenol a few nights and it didn't help). I also tried gripe water and it didn't help either.
Could this be reverse cycling or something missing? And how can I change it? I'm not a fan of cosleeping bc I can't get comfortable with him near me so I would t sleep much better. Help I can't function like this anymore.
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 16, 2013 at 6:55 PM
Sounds like the 4 month sleep regression. He's getting a lot of milk while he's away, so it doesn't sound like reverse cycling.

Reverse cycling is when they take hardly anything while away from you and make up for it when you're together.

Are you sure that he is actually getting those oz in him or is that just what they are saying?
flutter523
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:18 PM
I'm sure. It's my mom, aunt or his daddy with him. He may leave less than an ounce but usually he drinks it

Quoting Junebaby18:

Sounds like the 4 month sleep regression. He's getting a lot of milk while he's away, so it doesn't sound like reverse cycling.

Reverse cycling is when they take hardly anything while away from you and make up for it when you're together.

Are you sure that he is actually getting those oz in him or is that just what they are saying?
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM
1 mom liked this
No thats not reverse cycling. He's just missing the act of nursing and being close to you while you're working. It's such a comfort for babies. He may be going through a growth spurt or teething as well. This is nothing gripe water or anything else will "fix". It's just something you push through. It will pass.
Jblb
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:23 PM
Just a thought, perhaps he is missing you!! Can you fix your older child a snack and give your baby the boob when you get home?
jessymoka
by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 7:45 PM
My now 12 year old reverse cycled when I went back to work (and I live to tell the tale, lol).
I know other above me said it didn't sound like it, but to me it totally sounds like reverse cycling.
I can't be any help to you unfortunately, because I brought her to bed with me.
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:31 PM
Really to be reverse cycling, baby takes very little during the day and waits for mom to get the bulk of his calories. Since her baby is taking in near half of his calories while she works, that's why this isn't really considered reverse cycling.

Quoting jessymoka:

My now 12 year old reverse cycled when I went back to work (and I live to tell the tale, lol).

I know other above me said it didn't sound like it, but to me it totally sounds like reverse cycling.

I can't be any help to you unfortunately, because I brought her to bed with me.
flutter523
by Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:35 PM
He's basically attached to me the second I walk in the door and I feed on demand (every 2-3 hours) when were together

Quoting Jblb:

Just a thought, perhaps he is missing you!! Can you fix your older child a snack and give your baby the boob when you get home?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:59 PM
Can you sidecar his crib to your bed so he can sleep in his own space, but be within ARM's reach for easy nursing?
shortyali
by Alicia on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:30 PM
My DS2 has reversed cycled. I'm away from him 8-10ish hours a day and he takes 1 bottle that is 3ozs while I'm gone. It honestly sounds like yours just misses you and that's how he knows he can be near you. Also at 4 months they tend to switch up sleeping habits and nursing habits and go back to nursing like a newborn.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)