Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do I reverse "reverse cycling?"

Posted by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM
  • 10 Replies

I pumped throughout the summer while I worked, and DS2 started reverse cycling.

My summer job is now over, but DS2 is still eating throughout the night and only 2 to 3 times during the day.  He's now 8 months old.

I offer the breast at least 10 times throughout the day, hoping to get him to eat, but he turns up his nose.  Ffrom 2 a.m. to 8 a.m., he's on the breast about once per hour.  (We bed-share, so it's endurable--but barely!)

We don't NEED the reverse-cycling now, so what steps can I take to reverse it?  I'd love to get decent sleep between 2 and 8!!!

by on Sep. 16, 2013 at 8:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:28 PM

What you're already doing. Offer the breast regularly. You can also check out Dr. Jay's night weaning method.

Corinnesingh
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 9:46 PM

I am sorry I am new to this , I haven't nursed for almost 10 yrs.. What is reverse cycling

3MusketeerMama
by Emma Rye on Sep. 16, 2013 at 10:21 PM

When baby refuses any milk away from mom and then nurses like a fiend when she is back to make up for all the lost time, or nurses mostly at night and infrequently during the day.

Quoting Corinnesingh:

I am sorry I am new to this , I haven't nursed for almost 10 yrs.. What is reverse cycling

Corinnesingh
by Bronze Member on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:34 PM

Thanks! 

Quoting 3MusketeerMama:

When baby refuses any milk away from mom and then nurses like a fiend when she is back to make up for all the lost time, or nurses mostly at night and infrequently during the day.

Quoting Corinnesingh:

CafeMom Tickers
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 16, 2013 at 11:37 PM

Yep! Keep offering frequently throughout the day. That's all you can do.

GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 10:55 PM

Today he nursed in the morning about 8 a.m.    Then he nursed a bit about 3 p.m. and a bit at 6 p.m.  It's now 9 p.m., and he's still not wanting anything.  :(

I know tonight is going to be non-stop nursing from about midnight on....  Wish me luck!

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM
I would have someone else watch him for a night and give the bottles so that he nursed madly the next day. Sometimes it only takes one day to fix a routine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:18 AM
Is he getting solids at all? If so, I would stop those (or at least slow down a lot) until he nurses well during the day.
GoodyBrook
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Quoting Junebaby18:

Is he getting solids at all? If so, I would stop those (or at least slow down a lot) until he nurses well during the day.

Good thought.

He self-feeds solids every couple of days only at dinner.  In a full day his consumption might be 6 peas or about 1 tablespoon avocado. 

SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Sep. 18, 2013 at 12:20 PM
1 mom liked this

You're also right at a really distractible age...  make sure your nursing spot is dark and quiet and give him something to play with while nursing.   Just keep offering during the day, he'll get it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)