Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

2 and a half month old not producing stool?

Posted by   + Show Post

My son is two and a half months old and is EBF. He used to be in the 50 percentile and now he is only in the 17 percentile. I change wet diapers anywhere from 10-20 times a day (including overnight) but..He only poops like once every 4 days and sometimes he'll go a whole week without pooping. I'm wondering if there's something wrong with my supply. I'm not short on milk, & we feed on demand but this is making me feel like something is wrong. His pediatrician wasn't too concerned but she wants to keep an eye on his weight because he's not gaining as fast as he was. I'm feeling extremely discouraged and I'm highly considering formula feeding him just so i know he's getting enough. Any advice? Has anyone else been through something like this and if so what did you do?

by on Sep. 17, 2013 at 5:53 PM
Replies (11-14):
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:52 AM
What is his birth weight, lowest weight and any other weights that you've done?
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:58 AM
He's twelve pounds at two and a half months old? That means you're fine unless he was over ten pounds at birth. You want an average gain of a pound a month from lowest weight which is usually taken a few days after birth. If you're changing enough wet diapers, you're also fine unless there are symptoms of constipation, which you didn't mention. Since you aren't dealing with constipation, just keep doing what you're doing. Going a week without pooping is a bit long for a baby so young but since he's not constipated there's nothing wrong. Lets say he was eight pounds at birth, he gained two pounds a month so far. Meaning if that weight gain continued just like that he'd be 32lbs at a year old. Nobody wants that, you want one pound per month of life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 10:06 AM
He is fine. My son only poops every 4 days.
HypnoKitty
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 11:33 AM

he was 7lbs 13oz at birth, exactly 8 pounds at 1 week and at 7 weeks he was 10 pounds. 

also, he's really gassy because he doesnt poop for days and i'm bout to lose my mind! I don't know what to do, i've tried gripe water and gas drops and warm rag on his belly.. the only thing that seems to help is a warm bath and that's only while he's in it. Help!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)