Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Lip tie surgery worries

Posted by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM
  • 6 Replies

I didn't know about lip ties the first time around. DD got her lip tie corrected at 2 years old,. after two of her teeth had rotted out and two more well on their way. No laser available here. We had an oral surgeon cut it using laughing gas, with DD sitting right on her father's lap. That oral surgeon doesn't accept patients under 2 years old.

So now baby 2 is here and has a lip tie. He's 3 months old and scheduled to have his lip tie corrected in a day surgery room in a hospital with general anesthesia and parents aren't allowed in the room. I'm worried. I don't even know what questions I should ask or who I can ask them to.

by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MrsMoretz
by on Sep. 18, 2013 at 3:00 PM
Ask what they are going to do, what you should expect, and what the outcomes can be, and most importantly what are the risks. Hope this helps. Just keep calm and clear your head be strong for the lo. We had a big surgery with our lo and are looking at some issues with DS2 you just got to know what you're doing is best for them :)
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 5:09 PM
1 mom liked this
I would find another ENT in the area. There is no reason to be put under for a lip or tongue tie cut before a certain age. DS got a tongue tie cut with some numbing gel at 3 months old.
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:03 PM

Is there someone on this list that you can see?  We flew from Utah to New York because it was that important to us to get it done correctly even though we couldn't afford it

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bQTFZfuke1FX63UtJ0OhNCeWLDDpTKks4FVh720mxHc/edit

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 18, 2013 at 9:15 PM
I would also try to find a dentist who will do it without general anesthesia. There is a mounting evidence from some large scale studies that children who undergo general anesthesia before age 1 have a higher likelihood of language deficits by age ten. There are lists of dentists who do this regularly like above who will do it under local anesthesia.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:54 AM
I agree! Look for another provider.

Quoting PoodleMum:

Is there someone on this list that you can see?  We flew from Utah to New York because it was that important to us to get it done correctly even though we couldn't afford it

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bQTFZfuke1FX63UtJ0OhNCeWLDDpTKks4FVh720mxHc/edit

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:27 AM

I dont understand why the knocking baby out when the top surgeon in the country recommends to not even use pain killers as it will effect the immediate nursing that needs to happen.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)