Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

New here tons of questions!

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM
  • 21 Replies
Not only am I new to breast feeding but I'm a new mom too. I am having a a lot if pain when my little girl latches it goes away but at first it's quite painful. I also notice that one side is more engorged than the other and I try to have her feed on the right more to help it but is that ok? Also what are the most convenient things to wear for when you are out and about. Thanks ladies!!
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
armywife2408
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I had pain at first with my let down, and my lactation consultant said that can be normal. But if your nipple itself is in pain she might be latching wrong. Some other moms might be more helpful with that question though. My dd prefers to nurse on one side more than the other, causing the less used side to not be as full as the other. Out and about I wear a tank to with either a t-shirt or long sleeve over, so I can lift the top shirt and leave the tank top down. I also have a few dresses that are easy to slip to one side. Good luck with nursing!

beebar
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:27 PM
Thank you! I meet with my consultant again at her two week appointment so I will see. I'm just happy she latched right away. She doesn't have a preference yet so ill just keep rotating. The tank and shirt idea is great idea thank you!!

Quoting armywife2408:

I had pain at first with my let down, and my lactation consultant said that can be normal. But if your nipple itself is in pain she might be latching wrong. Some other moms might be more helpful with that question though. My dd prefers to nurse on one side more than the other, causing the less used side to not be as full as the other. Out and about I wear a tank to with either a t-shirt or long sleeve over, so I can lift the top shirt and leave the tank top down. I also have a few dresses that are easy to slip to one side. Good luck with nursing!

Nynnie
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I'm new to breastfeeding also, just been doing it a month, and at first it was terribly painful but it got better. It still hurts a little sometimes when he latches on, but that's about it. At first though it even made me cry once. I was feeding the baby too much and it actually made me bleed once when he was just a week old. It was scary but I eventually got the hang of it, you will too.

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM

oh hey we are in the same DDG! :)

i have the same problems. we need to toughen our nipples up, that's what baby is doing. i also have pain on the initial latch on but after a min it goes away. my left side for some reason has always produced more. you can do block feeding, one side at one nursing, then feed on the other side next time, thats what i do.

i am wearing Merona cross over shirts from target, and nursing tank underneathe. or i'll wear a shirt with a nursing bra underneathe. and double up on the nursing pads on the side that produces more....recline while nursing. and GL!

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:41 PM
1 mom liked this

and use lanolin cream!!

Hannahsmommy816
by Bronze Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:42 PM

and the 1st 5 days i wanted to throw up with pain. i feel your pain LITERALLY!!

nursetina
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:07 PM

The first several weeks are the hardest. For me it was the first 4 months. We dealt with a lot of issues. But it gets better and not as painful. As long as it goes away, that is a good sign. If it continues to hurt have your LO evaluated for a possible lip or tongue tie. My son has a lip tie which made it painful to nurse for me. But he had no issues with weight gain or with getting the milk out.

A tank top under the shirt works best for me. You'll be able to experiment with lots of different shirts and see what you are most comfortable in. Good luck!

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Quoting beebar:

Not only am I new to breast feeding but I'm a new mom too. I am having a a lot if pain when my little girl latches it goes away but at first it's quite painful.
Pain at initial latch is normal. Eventually you'll notice nothing. 
I also notice that one side is more Engadget than the other
Don't you love autocorrect? I'm sure you meant engorged!
We're all lopsided. Pregnancy and breastfeeding emphasize that natural tendency. 
and I try to have her feed on the right more to help it but is that ok?
Feed her more on the smalle side to encourage increased production.
Also what are the most convenient things to wear for when you are out and about. Thanks ladies!!

Untucked shirts. Lift, latch, done. The shirt itself covers everything up to baby and baby covers the rest.

beebar
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:39 PM
Ooh ouch! No blood yet thank god but in the hospital they got super sore.

Quoting Nynnie:

I'm new to breastfeeding also, just been doing it a month, and at first it was terribly painful but it got better. It still hurts a little sometimes when he latches on, but that's about it. At first though it even made me cry once. I was feeding the baby too much and it actually made me bleed once when he was just a week old. It was scary but I eventually got the hang of it, you will too.

beebar
by Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Haha yes iPhones do that and I forget to check them. Oops!! Thank you for all your advice and tips I really appreciate it!

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting beebar:

Not only am I new to breast feeding but I'm a new mom too. I am having a a lot if pain when my little girl latches it goes away but at first it's quite painful.
Pain at initial latch is normal. Eventually you'll notice nothing. 
I also notice that one side is more Engadget than the other
Don't you love autocorrect? I'm sure you meant engorged!
We're all lopsided. Pregnancy and breastfeeding emphasize that natural tendency. 
and I try to have her feed on the right more to help it but is that ok?
Feed her more on the smalle side to encourage increased production.
Also what are the most convenient things to wear for when you are out and about. Thanks ladies!!

Untucked shirts. Lift, latch, done. The shirt itself covers everything up to baby and baby covers the rest.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN