Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Spitting up

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM
  • 22 Replies

Hi, I'm Melissa and I'm new here. I have a one month old son and I am breastfeeding him. We've gotten into a very good routine with it, I enjoy doing it now. I feed him 10 minutes on each breast and burp him every 5 minutes. I started that because he started spitting up a lot if I waited the whole 10 mins to burp him. Now no matter how often I burp him he throws up all of what he ate I'm pretty sure. Now I tried pumping and warming it up and feeding him from a bottle and he isn't spitting up as much. I don't want to have to stop breast feeding him, but I don't know what o do. Does anybody have any idea what is going on and what I can do to fix it? We've always done the reverse cradle hold and I have him sitting up more with the bottle. Someone please help me

I love my familyin lovemy loving man, toddler boybaby boyand my little loveys!

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Yogamom08
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:40 PM
Is he a happy spitter? If so, then it's just a laundry issue. No need to not feed from the breast.

I would just let him nurse on one side until he is full instead of timing it. Burp him when he pulls off himself.
Nynnie
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:46 PM

No, he's not a happy spitter. He's even becoming a fussy eater sometimes. I have tried that and he ends up choking and spitting up all over my breast barely after five minutes if he makes it that long. At first after he was born he ate and ate for 20 minutes on just one breast. It had gone so well he gained over half a pound in only 3 days, now I think he may even be losing weight because of it. He's still pooping and peeing normally though, which is something the dr made a big deal about before saying that that is how we know he's getting enough.

Quoting Yogamom08:

Is he a happy spitter? If so, then it's just a laundry issue. No need to not feed from the breast.

I would just let him nurse on one side until he is full instead of timing it. Burp him when he pulls off himself.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:49 PM
It sounds like classic oversupply and overactive letdown. From the overeating to the fussiness to the overachieving gain. Go to kellymom.com and look up oversupply.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:50 PM
Also explains why the bottle doesn't have that effect.
Nynnie
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:52 PM

Ok I will, thank you very much. But just to keep this going, I was over feeding him back then, he was eating 40 minutes at each feeding, but the feedings are now 3 or 4 hours apart and for only a total of 20 minutes. When I pump the most I could get out is 4 oz and that weight gain isn't overachieving anymore, I'm actually worried he might be losing weight again.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

It sounds like classic oversupply and overactive letdown. From the overeating to the fussiness to the overachieving gain. Go to kellymom.com and look up oversupply.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 19, 2013 at 1:57 PM
Normal pump output is .5-2oz for both breasts so 4 oz is above and beyond. ;-) You've probably just come out of a growth spurt where he stimulated greater supply and it's become overwhelming. Babies become more efficient and it's normal to be finished in even 5-10 minutes. You might try to just use one breast per feeding; nurse until he pops off, burp and put back on the same breast if he still seems hungry. Is he choking or sputtering when you let down?

Quoting Nynnie:

Ok I will, thank you very much. But just to keep this going, I was over feeding him back then, he was eating 40 minutes at each feeding, but the feedings are now 3 or 4 hours apart and for only a total of 20 minutes. When I pump the most I could get out is 4 oz and that weight gain isn't overachieving anymore, I'm actually worried he might be losing weight again.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Yogamom08
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:15 PM
I agree.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 19, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Quoting Nynnie:

Ok I will, thank you very much. But just to keep this going, I was over feeding him back then, he was eating 40 minutes at each feeding, but the feedings are now 3 or 4 hours apart and for only a total of 20 minutes.

That actually bothers me. It screams oversupply. With a 20 minute feed he should be screaming to eat hourly, not four hours apart. 

Abandon any "across the lap" positioning. Instead, find a seat that lets you lean or slouch back. Recliners are perfect for this. Lay baby on top of you, tummy to tummy, mouth over the breast. His nose is made for this so don't be scared by it. Latch. Gravity stops the milk from flooding baby; that's what usually causes the spitup.

Eventually yo'll be able to nurse him on your lap again. But for now, you're getting tummy time in while nursing. **grin**

When I pump the most I could get out is 4 oz

That's a HUGE amount. ENORMOUS. That's like saying you got a 6.0 on a 4.0 scale. And again screams oversupply and overactive letdown.

and that weight gain isn't overachieving anymore, I'm actually worried he might be losing weight again.

I'd be worried about it too with that interval.

Nynnie
by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:05 PM

It usually is at least 3 minutes in before he obviously chokes on it, but I went to that website and it sure does look like that's it. Thank you very much, it has quite a few things to try and I'm glad I don't think I'll have to switch him to the bottle. I don't understand though why a month old breastfed baby should only be eating 2 oz when a formula fed baby should be eating 4 by this age. He doesn't wake up to eat before 3 hours and the dr said only to wake him up for it if it's been 4.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Normal pump output is .5-2oz for both breasts so 4 oz is above and beyond. ;-) You've probably just come out of a growth spurt where he stimulated greater supply and it's become overwhelming. Babies become more efficient and it's normal to be finished in even 5-10 minutes. You might try to just use one breast per feeding; nurse until he pops off, burp and put back on the same breast if he still seems hungry. Is he choking or sputtering when you let down?

Quoting Nynnie:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 19, 2013 at 4:11 PM
Breastfed babies continue to drink 24-32 oz over that entire first breastfeeding year; the composition of the milk changes while the quantity remains constant. Even at a year, breastfed babies should be getting a 3-4 oz bottle, not 6-8 oz like their formula counterparts.

Just out of curiosity, what's his weight history, including birth weight as well as the lowest weight?

Quoting Nynnie:

It usually is at least 3 minutes in before he obviously chokes on it, but I went to that website and it sure does look like that's it. Thank you very much, it has quite a few things to try and I'm glad I don't think I'll have to switch him to the bottle. I don't understand though why a month old breastfed baby should only be eating 2 oz when a formula fed baby should be eating 4 by this age. He doesn't wake up to eat before 3 hours and the dr said only to wake him up for it if it's been 4.

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting Nynnie:

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN