Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

She can not be ready yet....can she??

Posted by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM
  • 10 Replies

My first dd never had any interest in food, she liked her milk and that was it until just after a year. Now dd2 who is 5 month old is grabbing for everything that I'm trying to eat. She smacks her lips, opens her mouth, sticks out her tongue, and will watch me close as I eat. There is no way I'm giving her food yet..she is to young. I had planned on waiting until she was 8 months old...but with how she is acting I don't know if I will wait that long....also I want to do the baby led solids...but she might be leading to quickly lol. I know it's called "baby led" for a reason...but how do I know forsure she is wanting food? My first dd solids ended up being sort of forced.

by on Sep. 19, 2013 at 10:26 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:01 PM
If she can sit unassisted in her high chair, use pincer grasp, has lost tongue thrust and is a minimum of six months old, you may give her small soft pieces of whatever you're having. Until she is a year old, you nurse first before any solids.
cemcnair
by Courtney on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:05 PM
My ods was like your oldest. No interest, didn't really start until closer to 8-9 months.
Younger ds totally different!! He is READY! Like really ready and I'm holding him off. He's 6 months on Saturday.
Crazy how different they are :)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:23 PM
2 moms liked this
Give her a spoon. That might satisfy her desire to have what you're having. If you were smoking cigarettes she'd want one of those. ;-) they sure as heck want cell phones and I'm positive they don't really need to make a call. ;-)
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:41 PM

She's wanting what you're doing more than anything else. Give it one more month just to get the gut closed (longer if she's preemie because you go by adjusted age). 

cemcnair
by Courtney on Sep. 19, 2013 at 11:44 PM
That's been my solution this last month :)

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Give her a spoon. That might satisfy her desire to have what you're having. If you were smoking cigarettes she'd want one of those. ;-) they sure as heck want cell phones and I'm positive they don't really need to make a call. ;-)
armywife2408
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:56 AM
Thank you all so much. I'm going to try the spoon! I really want to hold off solids as much as possible. Someone in Facebook said to give her breastmilk cubes in a mesh feeder as well. I feel stupid not thinking of these things on my own.
Tigress22304
by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:04 AM

my dd was the same age when she was doing the same thing-my pediatrician told me to wait til she's 6months then feed her 1 new food a week to watch for allergies

my father's italian-that was the roughest year for him and DD both because she always wanted whatever pop pop was eating

C'mon-you want the yummies mommy's got or do you want that nasty goshy yucky crapshit in a jar?!

akm378mn
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I agree with everyone... just wait until she is at least 6 months old. 

justinnaimee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:36 AM
My youngest was the same way. We did baby led solids too. When she started getting interested I started giving her food. I think I started with very steamed broccoli.
TTC2Long
by Gina on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:39 AM
My two boys are exactly the same way! Ds1 barely started being interested in food at 1 and ds2 just turned 6 months and shivers with excitement while he tries to grab my food! But he doesn't sit up or pincer grasp yet, so sorry buddy!

Quoting cemcnair:My ods was like your oldest. No interest, didn't really start until closer to 8-9 months.
Younger ds totally different!! He is READY! Like really ready and I'm holding him off. He's 6 months on Saturday.
Crazy how different they are :)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)