Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need some encouragement and perhaps some advice

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:46 AM
  • 6 Replies

DS is 6m today.  I cannot stand nursing him!  It hurts so very, very bad.  He had such a painful latch at the beginning that I even consulted a LC.  It was better for a while, but the last couple of weeks it is incredibly painful.  I hurt even in between sessions.  I know it shouldn't be like this (he is my 6th nursling!) and I know he needs at least another 6m of breastmilk, but I don't think I can take it another day.  Any suggestions to help me push through this so we can keep nursing?  I know if something doesn't change soon, I'm going to have to quit.

Daisypath Anniversary tickersPhotobucket

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 20, 2013 at 9:50 AM
Check for a lip/tongue tie
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:11 AM

Are you pregnant?  

Take it one nursing session at a time.  Set a time limit for yourself - to get through.  Then, if things are going well let him keep going.  If not, end it.  Set little goals for yourself.

My 20 month old had a terrible latch.  He was my 5th child and I have never struggled so much nursing a child.  Apparently I got used to it.  :)  Our 6th was born this June and when I latched her on I was shocked at how it felt.  Ha ha.  Then my toddler latches and it is annoying again.  :)  Trying to re-get used to it.

arctophile
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:27 AM

DH keeps asking if I am pregnant as well.  Perhaps I should take a test to be certain but I have never gotten pregnant while nursing before.  He has been checked for ties and they say he is fine.  At least he eats quickly though he would stay latched all day if I would allow it.  I know nursing is what is best for him but I do dread it so much.  Hopefully, we can figure something out that eases the discomfort.

BridgetMc
by Bronze Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM
You've described all my symptoms from a lip tied baby. Painful latch, painful nursing and pain between nursing sessions. My baby wanted to nurse 24/7 and wasn't a happy baby until we had her lip tie lasered at 8 months old.

Quoting arctophile:

DH keeps asking if I am pregnant as well.  Perhaps I should take a test to be certain but I have never gotten pregnant while nursing before.  He has been checked for ties and they say he is fine.  At least he eats quickly though he would stay latched all day if I would allow it.  I know nursing is what is best for him but I do dread it so much.  Hopefully, we can figure something out that eases the discomfort.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 20, 2013 at 1:56 PM

I would test. It sounds like pregnancy or period.

bananagrams
by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:02 AM

My DD is 18 days old and i had a really painful time nursing while in the hospital. My IBCLC suggested a nipple shield and it's been EXTREMELY helpful!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN