Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to supplement, or whatever it's called.

Posted by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM
  • 35 Replies

So I went 1 weeks and 2 days straight breastfeeding from the breast. I kept taking my baby back to the doctor and she wasn't gaining much weight. Well 1 doctor told me my baby was starving and to supplment formula, another doctor told me that it was ok to give it a little longer. Well feeling bad like my baby wasn't getting enough to eat I started supplementing formula becasue I tried to pump milk and only got a few drops. so I started giving 1 oz after every feeding and she seemed so much more like content, and I took her to the doctor and within 5 days she gained 4 ozs. and that made me happy so I started giving her 2 ozs if formula at night after her breastfeeding sitting of 10 minutes jsu so my boob wouldn't hurt.

Well she is 3 weeks and 1 days today, and I would like to go back to only giving breastmilk. But I want to supplement pumped milk to at times when I just don't have time to sit and feed her for a long time because I have two other kids to think about.I don't have easy breast, I have to sit on the couch holding her with one hand and holding my DD cup breast with another hand to not suffocate her, I have tried letting go of my breast and she unlatches and gasp for air. I have tried to prop her with pillows and she doesn't latch well I guess she doesn't feel really close.

So I tried the pumping again today. Out of my right breast the one both she and I prefer cause it's more comfortable to me, I got like 5 drops, out of my left i got 1/2 and oz sitting her 5 minutes.

My question is what are some suggestions that make the milk come out easier pumping (btw I plan to still try to feed from teh breast while school is in session) and how should I store milk in the meantime that I do pump. HOw long before she nursers should I not pump so she has some when I do feed her. 

sorry for all the questions I breastfed my other two for 2 weeks but alot of formula inbetween feedings so 3 weeks is an accomplishment for me and I want to keep it going, but like I said the sitting for a long time jsut can't be done.

btw my breast don't leak with my second the did all the time, the only one that will leak is the left (the one I got alot of milk out of) and that;s only when it is full and I start to feed on the other side it causes it to leak.

oh and how long can I pump at a time.

by on Sep. 20, 2013 at 10:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:00 AM
1 mom liked this

You're 3 weeks post pardum... you're supposed to be sitting alot so as to heal.   How old are your older kids?   Do you have anyone around to help you with the big kids?

For pumping... when your other breast starts leaking while baby is nursing, that's the time to pump.   If you can manage nursing and pumping at the same time, that's ideal.  If not, put baby down and pump.

It really won't help you time-wise, though... because you'd still have to take the time to pump and THEN sit and hold baby and the bottle (not to mention washing everything!).  

Nuring babies get more efficient and many will finish a feeding in just a few minutes... they just need time to get the hang of it.

For dropping the formula, just drop an oz or two total every few days until you're not supplementing.   Baby will want to nurse a lot to increase your supply.   No timing feedings, just nurse until baby is done, watch diapers.

If she still wants to nurse a lot and has trouble gaining, I'd have her checked for tongue tie... I'd probably do that anyway.

mommy1990426
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:06 AM

she wasnt gaining cause she falls asllep fast at the breast, her tongue is good. i dont have two hasnds to feed and pump at same time.  they r 8 and 6.  and sometimes i just dont have the time. id perfer pumped milk to formula but its one or the other for some occasions

Quoting SewingMamaLele:

You're 3 weeks post pardum... you're supposed to be sitting alot so as to heal.   How old are your older kids?   Do you have anyone around to help you with the big kids?

For pumping... when your other breast starts leaking while baby is nursing, that's the time to pump.   If you can manage nursing and pumping at the same time, that's ideal.  If not, put baby down and pump.

It really won't help you time-wise, though... because you'd still have to take the time to pump and THEN sit and hold baby and the bottle (not to mention washing everything!).  

Nuring babies get more efficient and many will finish a feeding in just a few minutes... they just need time to get the hang of it.

For dropping the formula, just drop an oz or two total every few days until you're not supplementing.   Baby will want to nurse a lot to increase your supply.   No timing feedings, just nurse until baby is done, watch diapers.

If she still wants to nurse a lot and has trouble gaining, I'd have her checked for tongue tie... I'd probably do that anyway.

Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:11 AM
The first week baby loses weight and usually doesn't gain the weight back until the end of week 2 or sometimes week 3-4. The more you nurse the more milk that you make.
To help with keeping your breast up instead of your hand, roll up a receiving blanket and put it underneath your breast so it lifts it up.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:12 AM

Quoting mommy1990426:

So I went 1 weeks and 2 days straight breastfeeding from the breast. I kept taking my baby back to the doctor and she wasn't gaining much weight.

From birth to one wek she shouldn't have gained a thing. She should have lost all the water weight from birth. 10-12% of birth weigh, in fact.

Well 1 doctor told me my baby was starving

BAD DOCTOR BAD DOCTOR BAD DOCTOR.

and to supplment formula, another doctor told me that it was ok to give it a little longer. Well feeling bad like my baby wasn't getting enough to eat I started supplementing formula becasue I tried to pump milk and only got a few drops. so I started giving 1 oz after every feeding and she seemed so much more like content, and I took her to the doctor and within 5 days she gained 4 ozs.

That's one week's gain, actually. So the formula had her fgaining a litle faster than she should have been.

If you had a choice between setting your baby on a scale or a railroad track, know whihc is more dangerous? The scale! It will lead to self doubt. 

I'd like to see a weight history.

and that made me happy so I started giving her 2 ozs if formula at night after her breastfeeding sitting of 10 minutes jsu so my boob wouldn't hurt.

Well she is 3 weeks and 1 days today, and I would like to go back to only giving breastmilk.

Then don't give the formula. That simple.

But I want to supplement pumped milk to at times when I just don't have time to sit and feed her for a long time because I have two other kids to think about.I don't have easy breast, I have to sit on the couch holding her with one hand and holding my DD cup breast with another hand to not suffocate her, I have tried letting go of my breast and she unlatches and gasp for air. I have tried to prop her with pillows and she doesn't latch well I guess she doesn't feel really close.

Actually her nose is made to not be suffocated; it will surprise you. And at three weeks, she's going to want to nurse a lot. Supplementing at this time could cause you lots of problems. Have you considered a sling or soft carrier? That can free you up remarkably. 

So I tried the pumping again today. Out of my right breast the one both she and I prefer cause it's more comfortable to me, I got like 5 drops, out of my left i got 1/2 and oz sitting her 5 minutes.

That's actually normal output.

My question is what are some suggestions that make the milk come out easier pumping

Pump WHILE nursing. Baby one side, pump on the other. It's more efficient.

(btw I plan to still try to feed from teh breast while school is in session) and how should I store milk in the meantime that I do pump.

See kellymom.com for storage guidelines.

HOw long before she nursers should I not pump so she has some when I do feed her. 

No time constraints there. Milk is made WHILE nursing. The on;y way to eliminate the milk is to cut your breasts off or to take estrogen.

sorry for all the questions I breastfed my other two for 2 weeks but alot of formula inbetween feedings so 3 weeks is an accomplishment for me and I want to keep it going, but like I said the sitting for a long time jsut can't be done.

How old are your older kids? If they're over 4, they can play quite nicely on their own for quite a while, as long as the home is childproofed. My mom never did understand modern moms spending every available second with their kids; in the 60s and 70s we were shoved outside with instructions to go play and be nice. **grin**  

Under 4? That's where DVDs are wonderful things. Lots of good educational ones out there too.

btw my breast don't leak with my second the did all the time, the only one that will leak is the left (the one I got alot of milk out of) and that;s only when it is full and I start to feed on the other side it causes it to leak.

Normal.

oh and how long can I pump at a time.

While nursing, till baby comes off. Otherwise, mom's choice.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:15 AM
2 moms liked this

Are you homeschooling? If not, then you have time when they're in school. When they get home, sit them down to do homework and you only check it when done. Trust me here, if you do more you wind up not doing them any favors. I've learned this the hard way with my HS freshman; we did too much when he was younger. Then send 'em off to play. These are really easy ages, luckily.

Feeding and pumping at once is tricky, You actually don't use hands; you use your knee. **grin** I pumped with the bottle held by my knee. It helps to be on a couch in front of a coffee table to put your foot on.

Quoting mommy1990426:

she wasnt gaining cause she falls asllep fast at the breast, her tongue is good. i dont have two hasnds to feed and pump at same time.  they r 8 and 6.  and sometimes i just dont have the time. id perfer pumped milk to formula but its one or the other for some occasions

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:16 AM

I have five kids, and I homeschool.  My older kids are 9, almost 8, almost 6 almost 4 and then I have my 6 1/2 month old.  Feeding a bottle would take more time away from my kids, preparing, holding baby and bottle while they eat, and then cleaning said bottle every single time.  Nursing is much easier because I have more time to sit and interact with my kids.

Normal pump output is .5oz-2oz  you sound normal.  Leaking is not needed to have a good supply, and you don't want your breasts feeling full you want them soft because that means they are making milk.  

How much is "a little weight gain".   Why is baby getting weighed so much?  

mommy1990426
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:25 AM

NOt homeschooling, so yes I have time, I don't spend every second on them, but sometimes the baby will be there for a long time I don't know if she is eating or pacifing herself. I just feel little movements. But at first I didn't want to move  her cause I felt every dropped counted. she does well going between bottle, breast, and pacifier, she is a smart baby and has no nipple confusion.  It would be nice to give a bottle lasting about 10 minutes and sit her down and do some houseworks while she plays happy and full in the bouncer for a few minutes.

Quoting gdiamante:

Are you homeschooling? If not, then you have time when they're in school. When they get home, sit them down to do homework and you only check it when done. Trust me here, if you do more you wind up not doing them any favors. I've learned this the hard way with my HS freshman; we did too much when he was younger. Then send 'em off to play. These are really easy ages, luckily.

Feeding and pumping at once is tricky, You actually don't use hands; you use your knee. **grin** I pumped with the bottle held by my knee. It helps to be on a couch in front of a coffee table to put your foot on.

Quoting mommy1990426:

mommy1990426
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:26 AM

I also feel it's different, if she is feed pumped milk  know how much she is getting, I don't like the fact that I don't know exactly how much she is eating via breast.

mommy1990426
by Member on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:31 AM

She was born 6lbs and 14 ozs in the hospital. We left the hospital at 6lbs and  1 ozs so more than the 10% they say is normal. We went back a few days later at 6lbs and 6 ozs so I felt like it was working. went back 4 days later because of a umbilical cord issue and she was 6 lbs 5ozs. That is when I intoduced formula, went back and she was 6lbs 10 ozs and she hasn't been seen again since 2 weeks ago. I myself find that bottle feeding is ALOT faster, I am not sure why some feel breastfeeding is, When I bottle feed it's quick and then I get 1 hand free, and can hold her and interact with the others. or feed her quickly and leave when needed. I only find breastfeeding more convenient when out and I have a place to sit (soccer practice for instance)...

Quoting JadeTigr7:

I have five kids, and I homeschool.  My older kids are 9, almost 8, almost 6 almost 4 and then I have my 6 1/2 month old.  Feeding a bottle would take more time away from my kids, preparing, holding baby and bottle while they eat, and then cleaning said bottle every single time.  Nursing is much easier because I have more time to sit and interact with my kids.

Normal pump output is .5oz-2oz  you sound normal.  Leaking is not needed to have a good supply, and you don't want your breasts feeling full you want them soft because that means they are making milk.  

How much is "a little weight gain".   Why is baby getting weighed so much?  

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Elizabeth on Sep. 20, 2013 at 11:37 AM
1 mom liked this
Diaper output tells you how much she is getting. Atleast 6 diapers a day means she is getting plenty. If you chose to exclusively pump, you're hooked up to the pump every 2 hours 24/7. If you need to go out, you bring your pump, if baby sleeps through the night you still need to get up and pump. You've gotten some really bad advice from those doctors. At 1 week old, most babies are still *losing* weight. If you're wanting the easiest solution, the best choice would be to nurse on demand, count diapers, and find more knowledgeable doctors. The first 6ish weeks are tough, baby wants to nurse constantly, but after that feedings start to space out and things get much easier. You're doing much better than you think mama :)

Quoting mommy1990426:

I also feel it's different, if she is feed pumped milk  know how much she is getting, I don't like the fact that I don't know exactly how much she is eating via breast.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)