Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Jaundice and supplementing? Update : she's home!

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM
  • 55 Replies
1 mom liked this
I gave birth Thursday at 4 am. My daughter's bilirubin number has gone up to a 12 and she has to be put under the lights.

They also want to start supplementing 1 oz of formula which I'm pretty annoyed about. My milk hasn't come in yet and she had two poops and 2 pee pees today.

Is the supplementing necessary?

ETA : Babygirl is home. We stayed for overnight feedings and insisted to stay with her. They discharged her early this morning with her levels down to 11 at 72 hours :D
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:27 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ceckyl
by Kyla on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:28 AM
No, someone else with a bit more time will explain why I'm sure, but supplementing is counter active to clearing jaundice.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:29 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh and congrats!
sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:30 AM
Thank you. Can I say no though? They're making me feel like its necessary for her health!

Quoting ceckyl:

No, someone else with a bit more time will explain why I'm sure, but supplementing is counter active to clearing jaundice.

CorCrox
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:32 AM
You can ABSOLUTELY say no. Often, medical professionals are not as educated on breastfeeding as they should be. Ask to speak to the lactation consultant on staff. She will likely have better and more relevant information, plus help you advocate for your nursing rights.

Good luck!

Quoting sugareemommee:

Thank you. Can I say no though? They're making me feel like its necessary for her health!

Quoting ceckyl:

hnischke
by Heather on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:41 AM
2 moms liked this
Nurse as much as possible. My son had to be under the bili light for a day or so. His nicu nurse explained to me that breast milk is better for jaundice because it's so easily digested. She said that formulas block babies up and since the bilirubin is passed through pooping it's counterproductive.
Precious333
by Group Mod-Julia on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:43 AM
You can say no! My first was jaundice and under the lights. I pumped my colostrum after nursing, and later milk, and gave him that with a syringe while.he sucked my finger, and gave it as often as they wanted me to, but i nurse before that or after, i forget. They basically want to make sure enough milk is given and there are enough poopy diapers (and pee)

Quoting sugareemommee:

Quoting ceckyl:

sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:44 AM
See that's the opposite of what they told me. I told them I wouldn't consent to formula and she scared me by warning me saying no could mean she may not come home with us tomorrow.

I'm in tears because none of my infants have ever had formula but I want to stick to my guns. I don't know what to do.

Quoting hnischke:

Nurse as much as possible. My son had to be under the bili light for a day or so. His nicu nurse explained to me that breast milk is better for jaundice because it's so easily digested. She said that formulas block babies up and since the bilirubin is passed through pooping it's counterproductive.

sugareemommee
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:46 AM
I freaking hate hospitals I really do. They just took her back for her first round under the lights, she comes back to me at 3, I'm so upset I want her here with me!

But I wouldn't consent.

Quoting Precious333:

You can say no! My first was jaundice and under the lights. I pumped my colostrum after nursing, and later milk, and gave him that with a syringe while.he sucked my finger, and gave it as often as they wanted me to, but i nurse before that or after, i forget. They basically want to make sure enough milk is given and there are enough poopy diapers (and pee)

Quoting sugareemommee:

Quoting ceckyl:

hnischke
by Heather on Sep. 21, 2013 at 12:54 AM
My son was in the nicu for 12 days after being born. It's rough not bringing baby home right away I truly understand. I felt very lucky though. The hospital I delivered at was a smaller one in the area so they usually only had my son in the nicu. We both got a lot of one on one attention. They also never pushed formula. They only gave it to him once or twice since I wasn't there to nurse and they ran out of expressed milk. They had recently become a baby friendly hospital. I wonder if that's why they never suggested it

Quoting sugareemommee:See that's the opposite of what they told me. I told them I wouldn't consent to formula and she scared me by warning me saying no could mean she may not come home with us tomorrow.

I'm in tears because none of my infants have ever had formula but I want to stick to my guns. I don't know what to do.

Quoting hnischke:Nurse as much as possible. My son had to be under the bili light for a day or so. His nicu nurse explained to me that breast milk is better for jaundice because it's so easily digested. She said that formulas block babies up and since the bilirubin is passed through pooping it's counterproductive.
ceckyl
by Kyla on Sep. 21, 2013 at 1:00 AM
Awe I'm sorry mama. They're just trying to scare you into doing what they want. Can you be with baby while under the lights so you can watch for hunger cues?

Quoting sugareemommee:See that's the opposite of what they told me. I told them I wouldn't consent to formula and she scared me by warning me saying no could mean she may not come home with us tomorrow.

Quoting hnischke:Nurse as much as possible. My son had to be under the bili light for a day or so. His nicu nurse explained to me that breast milk is better for jaundice because it's so easily digested. She said that formulas block babies up and since the bilirubin is passed through pooping it's counterproductive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)