Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sometimes life kicks you in th butt

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM
  • 14 Replies
1 mom liked this

So, I have been very successfully feeding my second daughter for 9 months now.  She would occassionally be offered a bottle on the very rare times that my hubby and I went out.  We were all happy.  Well, very early Tuesday morning I was rushed to the ER by ambulance for abdominal pain and vomitting.  I was have problems with my gall bladder.  I couldn't go into surgery Tuesday afternoon like they had originally planned because my labs came back that I also had pancreatitis related to the gall stones.  They immediately started pumping me full of antibiotics, along with the pain meds and nausea meds.  I asked for and was given pumping supplies, and told by the doctor that I could have ice chips, and very small sips of water.  Still, I was able to get  2 or 3 ounces when I tried pumping, which I did whenever I wasn't in agonizing pain.  Wednesday they checked my labs and the pancreas was still a little inflammed but good enough for the surgery.  They took away my ice chips because nothing on the stomach before surgery.  I still pumped as best I could.  Still was producing some.  Went into surgery Wednesday evening.  After words was able to start with the ice chips, and quickly moved to a variety of liquids.  Small bits of solids as able.  Jello, grapes, crackers... by Thursday I was producing less.  A half hour pumping session yeilded me an ounce if I was lucky.  Kept trying.  Rest, fluids, food when I felt able... hit the pump every 2 hours for 20-30 minutes.  Yesterday I was able to come home to my husband and children.  She tryed on one side for a half hour.  Later tried on the other for about an hour and got nothing.  Needed a bottle at bedtime.  Today I spent about a half hour trying to pump, after snuggles with my baby and a fair amount of fluids.  I was able to get maybe a half ounce.  The more I try and pump to get my supply going again, the more exhausted I am.  And the more I hurt.  It takes an amazing amount of energy to make milk, and it is taking alot to recover my my gall bladder surgery.  I am thinking about just having do formula until her first birthday, pretty sure about then is when little ones start a more solid diet and just need to BF or formula feed for bedtime.  (BF'd my first until she was two)  After 5 days of my supply slowly dwindling, am I giving up too soon, or am I doing the right thing for us all?  Is a fully recovered and healthy mommy the most important thing for me girls?  Or should I keep putting myself through physical torture trying to do both.  She likes the bottle now.  Was on it four straight days while I was in the hospital.  Small amounts of that was milk I managed to pump and save her, and I still have a tiny bit  in the fridge...

by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 4:48 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 5:31 PM
I am so sorry you are going through this but glad they were able to help you!

Your supply has taken a hit but can rebound. Ditch the pump and let lo nurse every time she wants. Just nursing will be less work than trying to pump and nurse. She may be a bit frustrated that it doesn't come as quickly as the bottle but the milk will come.

Get as much rest as you can, eat and drink and stay on top of your pain!

Having said that if you feel it is best for you and your lo to switch to formula that is ok too! You have done an amazing job and no one but you can make this decision.

Get well soon mom!
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 21, 2013 at 6:06 PM

Quoting Pam1981:

So, I have been very successfully feeding my second daughter for 9 months now.  She would occassionally be offered a bottle on the very rare times that my hubby and I went out.  We were all happy.  Well, very early Tuesday morning I was rushed to the ER by ambulance for abdominal pain and vomitting.  I was have problems with my gall bladder.  I couldn't go into surgery Tuesday afternoon like they had originally planned because my labs came back that I also had pancreatitis related to the gall stones.  They immediately started pumping me full of antibiotics, along with the pain meds and nausea meds.  I asked for and was given pumping supplies, and told by the doctor that I could have ice chips, and very small sips of water.  Still, I was able to get  2 or 3 ounces when I tried pumping, which I did whenever I wasn't in agonizing pain. 

OK.

Wednesday they checked my labs and the pancreas was still a little inflammed but good enough for the surgery.  They took away my ice chips because nothing on the stomach before surgery. I still pumped as best I could.  Still was producing some.  Went into surgery Wednesday evening.  After words was able to start with the ice chips, and quickly moved to a variety of liquids.  Small bits of solids as able.  Jello, grapes, crackers... by Thursday I was producing less.

Stress will DESTROY pump response. Note I don't say supply, though it will impact that too. But it's harder to let down for a pump when you're stressed.

A half hour pumping session yeilded me an ounce if I was lucky.  Kept trying.  Rest, fluids, food when I felt able... hit the pump every 2 hours for 20-30 minutes.  Yesterday I was able to come home to my husband and children.  She tryed on one side for a half hour.  Later tried on the other for about an hour and got nothing. 

How do you know she got nothing? Not trying to be a smartass... if she let you try for a whole hour it says to me she got *something.

Needed a bottle at bedtime.  Today I spent about a half hour trying to pump, after snuggles with my baby and a fair amount of fluids.  I was able to get maybe a half ounce. 

That's EXCELLENT.

The more I try and pump to get my supply going again, the more exhausted I am. 

Not surprising. I had gall bladder surgery too and pumped after I got out because I couldn't handle holding my then eight month old. I pumped about every two hours, no more than 15 minutes (go for TIME, never quantity; the quantity doesn't matter). Got about an ounce each time. We nursed to 26 months.

The key is persistence, nothing more.

And the more I hurt.  It takes an amazing amount of energy to make milk, and it is taking alot to recover my my gall bladder surgery.  I am thinking about just having do formula until her first birthday,

You can do that if you want, but it's not necessary. You're expecting way too much of yourself this early in the game.

pretty sure about then is when little ones start a more solid diet and just need to BF or formula feed for bedtime.  (BF'd my first until she was two)  After 5 days of my supply slowly dwindling, am I giving up too soon, or am I doing the right thing for us all?

Way too soon in my opinion. 

Is a fully recovered and healthy mommy the most important thing for me girls? 

You can do both. It's not an either/or situation. You're actually not five days in. You're ONE day in, from the day you came home. The time in the hospital is expected to throw things off.

Or should I keep putting myself through physical torture trying to do both.  She likes the bottle now.  Was on it four straight days while I was in the hospital.  Small amounts of that was milk I managed to pump and save her, and I still have a tiny bit  in the fridge...

Up to you. I'd keep trying. What does the woman in your mirror have to say? Hers is the only opinion that counts.

Pam1981
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:00 PM

I did not feel anything even remotely close to let down.  She suckled and gazed and smiled at me.  I took it to be she was happy to have mommy home.  I felt no let down though.  You think she was actually getting something?+

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:16 PM
Yes! She was getting something. It takes months/years for a mother to dry up. And nursing for so long and so often will help bump your supply back up. You only need to supplement to meet a diaper count of 4-5.

Quoting Pam1981:

I did not feel anything even remotely close to let down.  She suckled and gazed and smiled at me.  I took it to be she was happy to have mommy home.  I felt no let down though.  You think she was actually getting something?+

SeattleBabyBump
by Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:21 PM
You can absolutely have milk coming out without feeling a let down. And I'd bet good money that your baby was getting food, even if it's less than she's used to. I also can't pump hardly anything if I can't relax, even if I'm engorged. Personally, I wouldn't give up this soon. Do what you need to take care of yourself, for sure. Nurse as much as you can, whether you think milk is coming out our not, and pump when you can't nurse. Soon, you'll be feeling a lot better, and you'll be glad you did. Besides, what if you want to nurse for two years instead of one? At least this way, you'll likely still have that option.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:26 PM
Your supply has dwindled a bit, but nothing got removed. Spend a few days nursing constantly and keeping yourself well fed and rested and your body will do the rest. I say five days of crap deserves ten days of resting as much as possible.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pam1981
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 8:27 PM

It hurts so much to hold her.  She's a good sized 9mth old and I am so sore from the surgery.  I can only hold her for 5 minutes at a time.  And the only place I am comfortable is in the recliner.  I can keep trying, but I'm wondering if I am stressing myself out more by trying to keep with the feeding and pumping (she spends the days at grandmas and grandpas while the husband is working)  I am bummed, but not devastated by the thought that breastfeeding her might be over...

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:28 PM

Quoting Pam1981:

Heck yeah. If you're still feeling letdown this late in the game that's a bloody miracle; most of us stop feeling letdown before six months!

She wouldn't be suckling and gazing and smiling at you if she got nothing. 

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 21, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Did you have full open or laparascopic? If the latter, you should feel better to hold her in a couple of days. If the former, it will take longer. Full open surgery is no picnic.

I'm very encouraged that she's still taking the breast. It bodes very well for going back if you so desire.

Quoting Pam1981:

It hurts so much to hold her.  She's a good sized 9mth old and I am so sore from the surgery.  I can only hold her for 5 minutes at a time.  And the only place I am comfortable is in the recliner.  I can keep trying, but I'm wondering if I am stressing myself out more by trying to keep with the feeding and pumping (she spends the days at grandmas and grandpas while the husband is working)  I am bummed, but not devastated by the thought that breastfeeding her might be over...

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:39 AM

I think its less supply dropping and more her preferring the bottle as far as NEEDING extra..by 9 months this wuldnt kill supply.  Refuse bottles and nurse if you want to nurse... would stop the pumping and nurse.  Can someone come to YOUR house and care for her(and you a bt) as you recover?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)