Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Nursing through pregnancy

Posted by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM
  • 11 Replies
I just found out I'm pregnant. I want to nurse through my pregnancy and tandem nurse. How do I keep my supply up??
by on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 21, 2013 at 10:50 PM

Join the tandemn nursing group here on CM!!  Drink a ton of water. 

Ultimately, you may not be able to keep your supply up.  Many women dry up or drasctically reduce their supply.  Though for at least a few months, I would think you won't have much trouble.  

I have nursed while pregnant my last 5 children.  I only, successfully nursed completely thriough 2 of them and continued to tandemn nurse.  Between a low supply and nursing aversions, you have to be committed!

I made it through this time by setting goals when it got really hard.  The last month I was only nursing once a day, but I made it through.  

Congratulations and good luck!

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:07 AM
1 mom liked this

How old is your LO, I have nursed through 2 pregnancies!

cemcnair
by Courtney on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:12 AM
Most likely your supply will diminish at least somewhat. Hold old is LO?
I nursed through my entire second pregnancy. I did lose my supply for a while, but ds continued to dry nurse. I tandemed for 5.5 months. Ods weaned just last week at 37 months.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 12:14 AM
Do nothing. My supply was fine until the past week when my milk made the switch to colostrum. I'm due in December. The only change has been now he's been thirsty all the time so he's been getting extra water and milk in addition to his twenty nursing sessions a day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Get the book Adventures in tandem nursing!

cailliermommy
by Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 1:52 PM
My nurslings is 16months & nurses constantly from the day she was born. Thank you for everyone's advice. I'm looking forward to this new chapter in my life.
Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:09 PM
I am also pregnant, but due in 4 days. I am still nursing my 2 year old, I didn't realize there was a tandem group here, so I was excited to read your reply, however I can't seem to find the group. :-( Can you link it please?

Quoting micheledo:Join the tandemn nursing group here on CM!!  Drink a ton of water. Ultimately, you may not be able to keep your supply up.  Many women dry up or drasctically reduce their supply.  Though for at least a few months, I would think you won't have much trouble.  I have nursed while pregnant my last 5 children.  I only, successfully nursed completely thriough 2 of them and continued to tandemn nurse.  Between a low supply and nursing aversions, you have to be committed!I made it through this time by setting goals when it got really hard.  The last month I was only nursing once a day, but I made it through.  Congratulations and good luck!
micheledo
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:11 PM

Pregnant and Tandemn Breastfeeders

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I am also pregnant, but due in 4 days. I am still nursing my 2 year old, I didn't realize there was a tandem hroup here, so I was excited to read your reply, however I can't seem to find the group. :-( Can you link it please?

Quoting micheledo:

Ultimately, you may not be able to keep your supply up.  Many women dry up or drasctically reduce their supply.  Though for at least a few months, I would think you won't have much trouble.  

I have nursed while pregnant my last 5 children.  I only, successfully nursed completely thriough 2 of them and continued to tandemn nurse.  Between a low supply and nursing aversions, you have to be committed!

I made it through this time by setting goals when it got really hard.  The last month I was only nursing once a day, but I made it through.  

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Sep. 22, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Thank you! :-)

Quoting micheledo:

Pregnant and Tandemn Breastfeeders

Quoting Cruz-s-mommy:

I am also pregnant, but due in 4 days. I am still nursing my 2 year old, I didn't realize there was a tandem hroup here, so I was excited to read your reply, however I can't seem to find the group. :-( Can you link it please?

Quoting micheledo:

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 22, 2013 at 4:39 PM
1 mom liked this

everything should be fine nurse nurse nurse and avoid fenugreek

Quoting cailliermommy:

My nurslings is 16months & nurses constantly from the day she was born. Thank you for everyone's advice. I'm looking forward to this new chapter in my life.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)