Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Sick Nursling...when to worry?

Posted by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • 7 Replies

I was hoping he wouldn't get it, but it looks like it caught up to him.

Last week I wasn't feeling well on Thurs/Fri. Very little appetite, wanted to sleep, some diarrhea. Then on Saturday Silas was SO SLEEPY he only nursed 4 times all day for any significant amount of time. Any other time he just fought, pushed away and fell asleep. Today he has diarrhea. 4 massive gross poopy diapers (and I think he's working on another one right now, sigh). Twice through his clothes.

I've been nursing him every few hours, trying to catch up yesterday, but again he's pushing away and being really fussy. Otherwise he's generally content, awake and playing.

I don't want to worry about dehydration....but when do I have to worry about it?!

He's 4 months old, about 16lbs. Current temp is 98.3 F

by on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Remember that poopy diapers count as two. How long did it take you to get through it? Does anyone else in the house have it? I would think another 24 hours make a big difference.
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:01 PM

Hmmm, for me it was mostly just Friday afternoon. I'd say 12 hours max. No one else has it at the moment.

Those diapers were a few hours in between with only 1 only pee diaper this afternoon. I'm just worried he's putting out more liquid than he's taken in over the last 24-36 hours. Although he seems pretty happy right now he's jumping like crazy on his jumper.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Remember that poopy diapers count as two. How long did it take you to get through it? Does anyone else in the house have it? I would think another 24 hours make a big difference.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:12 PM
His being happy is a good sign. It's when they move toward lethargy that you worry. How old is he?
smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:41 PM

Just turned 4 months on the 18th. My oldest (4) was never sick with diarrhea until he was 2. So we were able to do the "normal" kinds of things (BRAT, pedialyte). This "eats no food, so what do I do?!" is scary to me.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

His being happy is a good sign. It's when they move toward lethargy that you worry. How old is he?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 22, 2013 at 9:48 PM
1 mom liked this
Nursing frequently will see him through. If anything changes, I.e., fever, lethargy, vomiting (as opposed to sput~up) you will want to head to the pediatrician.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 22, 2013 at 10:25 PM
1 mom liked this

Just nurse nurse nurse. GO ahead and call the doc in the morning but I think you're going to be OK.

smorgan865
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:59 AM
2 moms liked this

Just a wet diaper overnight. Slept all night as usual and woke up his usual happy self. I hope he's over it.

And I hope no one else gets it!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN