Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

what is wrong with my boob? *update*

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM
  • 11 Replies
I'm currently nursing my almost 9 month old son, he's my third child, so I know quite a bit about breastfeeding. last night I noticed hard painful lumps in my breast, and I figured I had a clogged milk duct. Well this morning the whole under side of my breast is in severe pain and full of these lumps. I nursed my son on that breast and massaged the lumps, but none of them went away. do these sound like clogged ducts or something else? They're not warm and I don't have a fever either. *well I either burnt myself with the rice bag I put on my breast, or it's now mastitis. I'll be heading to the doctor in about an hour. :-( **I never ended up going to the Dr, I decided to wait a bit longer. I took homeopathic phytolacca, then took a hot shower and massaged my breast until milk started spraying out again! I'm finally unclogged.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 9:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gabenmikeysmom
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:08 AM
Still sounds like a clogged duct. Mine weren't hot either. Just hard and painful. I'd try- warm moist compresses, massage, increased nursing on that side with baby's chin pointing toward the lumps, pumping, and Tylenol or ibuprofen for rhe pain.
nicole4ray
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:36 AM
Thank you! I'm alternating between warm compress and pumping right now. My baby is so full he won't nurse anymore lol.

Quoting gabenmikeysmom:

Still sounds like a clogged duct. Mine weren't hot either. Just hard and painful. I'd try- warm moist compresses, massage, increased nursing on that side with baby's chin pointing toward the lumps, pumping, and Tylenol or ibuprofen for rhe pain.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 23, 2013 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this

Try dangle nursing next time you can get him to eat. It used to be thought that pointing the chin towards the clog would help "suction it out" but now that we know milk ducts don't travel in straight lines, this isn't as effective as it was once thought to be. Gravity from dangle nursing seems to help significantly.

gabenmikeysmom
by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I've never heard of that. I'll have to look it up.
Whether by coincidence or by angle I'm not sure but the chin pointed toward the clog finally unplugged me lol.

Quoting stepconfused182:

Try dangle nursing next time you can get him to eat. It used to be thought that pointing the chin towards the clog would help "suction it out" but now that we know milk ducts don't travel in straight lines, this isn't as effective as it was once thought to be. Gravity from dangle nursing seems to help significantly.

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM
If he will cooperate, you lay him on the bed or floor an you get on your hands and knees, literally letting your breast hang down for him to nurse.
nicole4ray
by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 12:43 PM
So far nothing is working. My baby is refusing that breast. It's so clogged that more than half the breast feels like a bag of rocks! This is miserable!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:39 PM

It's usually just the change in positioning and frequent nursing that release the clog, not where the chin is. Of course it would never hurt to angle them like that though! This is from kellymom:

• Ensure good positioning & latch. Use whatever positioning is most comfortable and/or allows the plugged area to be massaged.Note: Advice to point baby’s chin (or nose) toward the plugged area is not necessarily going to be helpful as it is based on the idea that the milk ducts take a nice, direct route to the nipple – recent research tells us that this is not true, and that a particular duct might begin in one area of the breast but can “wander” in many different directions before terminating in any area of the nipple.
  •  

Quoting gabenmikeysmom:

I've never heard of that. I'll have to look it up.
    Whether by coincidence or by angle I'm not sure but the chin pointed toward the clog finally unplugged me lol.

Quoting stepconfused182:

stepconfused182
    by Kelley on Sep. 23, 2013 at 2:41 PM

It may take a day or 2 to unclog. Just keep treating it and watch for signs of mastitis. You need to pump that breast if baby is refusing it.

Quoting nicole4ray:

So far nothing is working. My baby is refusing that breast. It's so clogged that more than half the breast feels like a bag of rocks! This is miserable!

TaylorMom814
    by Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM
    Sounds like me a couple weeks ago and it did turn into mastitis :( good luck getting some relief. I am doing better now but still dealing with some pain.
    nicole4ray
    by Bronze Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:39 PM
    What finally helped? I just bought phytolacca tablets and am taking those. I also have been nursing, pumping, massaging, etc. so far still no change.

Quoting TaylorMom814:

Sounds like me a couple weeks ago and it did turn into mastitis :( good luck getting some relief. I am doing better now but still dealing with some pain.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
    Add your quick reply below:
    You must be a member to reply to this post.
    Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
    Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)