Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

feel really sad for my niece, just had a baby wants to breastfeed but scared :(

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:11 PM
  • 11 Replies

My 20 year old niece just had her 1st baby yesterday. During her pregnancy she said she wanted to give breastfeeding a try. Then right before her baby came my mom was talking her out of it. My mom is not supportive at all she feels like this give the baby a bottle of formula and be done. I went to see the baby in the hospital today. I saw my niece pull out a bottle of formula to feed him. I said to her I thought you were gonna try breastfeeding. Her response was to many people coming in and out of here visiting so I can't do it. I told her yes she can! If she feels uncomfortable about her breast showing around others just use a blanket to cover up. I feel so sad for her and know her milk will probably not come in good and  if it does it will soon dry up and I know she wanted to try it.  Seems like I am the only one who would have supported her with breastfeeding.

Soon to be "PROUD MOM" to 7 boys, come November 2013!!! Thank you Lord for blessing me!

by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:13 PM
1 mom liked this
Tell her not to let them in if she's uncomfortable around them. It's her hospital room.
She will regret being scared and going back once you use formula gets harder with time.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
justone_jen
by Jen on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:14 PM
2 moms liked this
Be her advocate and tell your mom to shut up. She needs support is all. Be that support.
Summergale11
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:19 PM
That is so sad :( She should've just gone with her own motherly instincts and tried breastfeeding no matter what anyone else says. I've had issues with giving in to what other ppl want me to do because it's just so hard to disappoint ppl you love, but it's her baby and she should have tried it anyway. It was uncomfortable (and still is) to nurse in front of other ppl, but I know it's best for my baby and and I've had to learn to ignore the negativity toward breastfeeding. I hope this helps a little.
MrsMoretz
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:20 PM
You can get a sign for the door that say bf and have her close the curtians in the room. I just turned 21 with my first and it is uncomfortable but now I'm 23 and have a newborn and its completey different. If I'd not had GREAT support in.the NICU I would've quit and probably wouldn't have tried again. I'm soooo glad they didn't give up on me
Pam1981
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:23 PM

It is very hard to find supportive people when breastfeeding.  I'm lucky to have a very supportive husband.  My mother, who unfortunately lives too far away, is also very supportive.  My in-laws are neither supportive nor exactly unsupportive... they seem mostly indifferent.  I breastfed our first daughter until she was 2.  I'd been very happily and successfully BFing our send daughter, 9mths, until a week ago.  I had to go into the hospital for gallstones and pancreatitis related to the gall stones.  I am now trying to fight back from a very low milk production.  I only have handpumps at home, but they are medela which are good.  My production is so far down, I'm getting very little though.  I occasssional put my daughter to breast, but at her size and energy level, it's not for long because she starts squirming and starts to hurt my incisions...  Just keep supporting and maybe she'll do it.  All is not lost yet.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 3:48 PM
I'm sure you're already doing this, because it seems like you're really trying but I wanted to suggest nursing her while she's sleepy because she might move around less.
Feel better soon.

Quoting Pam1981:

It is very hard to find supportive people when breastfeeding.  I'm lucky to have a very supportive husband.  My mother, who unfortunately lives too far away, is also very supportive.  My in-laws are neither supportive nor exactly unsupportive... they seem mostly indifferent.  I breastfed our first daughter until she was 2.  I'd been very happily and successfully BFing our send daughter, 9mths, until a week ago.  I had to go into the hospital for gallstones and pancreatitis related to the gall stones.  I am now trying to fight back from a very low milk production.  I only have handpumps at home, but they are medela which are good.  My production is so far down, I'm getting very little though.  I occasssional put my daughter to breast, but at her size and energy level, it's not for long because she starts squirming and starts to hurt my incisions...  Just keep supporting and maybe she'll do it.  All is not lost yet.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mandyd322
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:13 PM

thats to bad your mom can't be supporative of something that she should be doing, what's wrong with her? that's how she feels, just give a bottle and be done with it, so when the kid is screaming at dinner time just give her the cake and icecream and be done with it, or any situation that requires some patience. this is what you need to tell your neice, go with your gut, you know breastfeeding is the best thing to do for your baby, so do it, who cares what other people think, yes it might even be tough breastfeeding, but anything worth something good, you have to work for, it doesn't come easy, and not to listen to your mom's adivice, any of it.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:20 PM
It amazes me how the support, to lack of it, completely affects the direction the baby will end up being fed, even despite the mother's best intentions sometimes. :-/
ajzuell
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:35 PM

Thanks ladies! I actually don't see eye to eye with my mom. I haven't talked to her in months, blame me loI don't want my niece thinking I am forcing her.  She would not dear to not let people not come in to visit because my mom and her mom will not have that even though she does have a right to. I know when I had my 1st child I was very young 19 I did breastfeed in the hospital but once I got home I stopped due to the lack of support from my mom. She is just a negative person which I can't be around. I pray my niece does try it I was thinking maybe she could talk to her baby nurse for help I told her the nurses will help they helped me to get my kids latched on. Plus if she need me I am here for her.

Soon to be "PROUD MOM" to 7 boys, come November 2013!!! Thank you Lord for blessing me!

Mom2Just1
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:39 PM

I kicked people out (except my husband) when my son wanted to nurse.  Keep trying. (:

Daisypath Anniversary tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Breastfeeding tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN