Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Meds while bf

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM
  • 9 Replies
I'm going through surgery and I will be put under by general anestisia, and prescribed Vicodin 500mg for pain and keflex 500mg for antibiotic. I called my obgyn and she said not to nurse and pump and dump. But I googled the meds and online it says it is safe to nurse one...what should I do? I've had c sections and I was on morphine and tons of antibiotics and pain meds and still nurse. I had a really really bad c section with my son so I was very much medicated. Anyways I don't want to not nurse my son for 2 weeks and pump and dump. Wwyd?
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:56 PM
Most doctors do not take the time to research as you have and simply give an answer to cover liability. They don't think about the fact that these things ate also given to c-section moms. Go ahead and nurse as soon as you can hold your baby, even with help. How old is he?
mammabear18
by on Sep. 23, 2013 at 4:59 PM
He will be 9 weeks at the time of surgery. I figured I would be fine but my obgyn simple said no so I wasn't sure. I'm new to bf I didn't nurse my other kids. Are you sure I will be ok then?

Quoting MusherMaggie:

Most doctors do not take the time to research as you have and simply give an answer to cover liability. They don't think about the fact that these things ate also given to c-section moms. Go ahead and nurse as soon as you can hold your baby, even with help. How old is he?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 5:03 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes.
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:28 PM
1 mom liked this

It realaly makes me angry that doctors refuse to look this stuff up. They have more resources and access to information than we do, yet in less than 5 or 10 minutes we can all tell you those meds are compatible with breastfeeding. You can find this information in the lactmed database or from Dr. Hale's Infant risk Center; you can call them or better yet, have your doctor call them. Your doctor is sabotaging your breastfeeding relationship because of simple ignorance. Imagine how many other moms she steered teh wrong way. This is from the Infant Risk Center:

"Each year, more than 4.3 million women give birth in the U.S.  Virtually all of these women will use at least one medication during pregnancy or during breastfeeding.  

The InfantRisk Center will be dedicated to providing up-to-date evidence-based information on the use of medications during pregnancy and breastfeeding.  Our goal is to provide accurate information regarding the risks of exposure to mothers and their babies.  By educating healthcare professionals and the general public alike, we aim to reduce the number of birth defects as well as create healthy breastfeeding relationships. 

We are now open to answer calls Monday-Friday 8am-5pm central time. Please contact us at (806)-352-2519.

- See more at: http://www.infantrisk.com/"

shortyali
by Alicia on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:37 PM
Vicodin and most antibiotics are fine. The only concern with keflex is possible diarrhea in the infant. I personally would still nurse. If you have a smart phone down load the lactmed app. It's free.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 6:47 PM
Keflex can cause diarrhea, Vicodin can cause drowsiness. Neither of those are good enough reason not to breastfeed. If it makes you feel better, you can alternate between an OTC pain medication and the Vicodin, using whatever your doc suggests. That's what I've always done because strong pain killers make me sick.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 7:14 PM
Oh and Keflex can cause thrush so take a probiotic while you're on it. Other than that you're fine! My dd was on Keflex at 8 mo!
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Sep. 23, 2013 at 10:23 PM

wow. Doc is 100% wrong. Not breastfeeding for 2 weeks would be a much bigger risk to your baby than nursing while on those meds. Those are compatible with breastfeeding.

You do not even need to pump and dump after general anesthesia. If you are alert enough to safely hold and care for your baby then you are ready to nurse.

Your only break from nursing needs to be when you are away from baby for the surgery.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this

TWO WEEKS? Good grief. If your OBGYN is the one doing the surgery you'd better mark the spot that's supposed to be operated on to make sure nothing incorrect is done!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)