Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Weaning from a shield...

Posted by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
  • 13 Replies
I'm breastfeeding my twins who are almost 12 weeks. Due to latch issues, I pumped almost exclusively for the first 6 weeks. At that point we transitioned to feeding exclusively at the breast. However, that is with shields. They transferred milk a lot better that way so our IBCLC who is also our pediatrician recommended them. She said I could wean my daughter by starting a feeding with the shield, taking it off and then finishing the feeding. She freaks out and constantly unlatches. Any advice? Is she just not ready? My son still has a tongue thrust so I know he's not ready. I am so ready to ditch the shields!
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
collinsmommy0
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 11:56 AM
Tongue thrust shouldn't be a problem - are they tongue tied?

Weaning from the shield was a pain in the butt but totally worth it. It took me a long time to fully wean DS from it.
sarasquiverfull
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:19 PM
My son does but she said it is workable and unnecessary to clip it. Perhaps I'm calling it the wrong thing. His tongue curls up when he cries and when he's feeding it does too. He slips off and even with the shield, sometimes doesn't have good suction without repositioning a few times.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Weaning from the shield was a pain in the butt but totally worth it. It took me a long time to fully wean DS from it.
collinsmommy0
by on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:21 PM
Slipping off the nipple and not being able to latch are reasons to cut it.

Quoting sarasquiverfull:

My son does but she said it is workable and unnecessary to clip it. Perhaps I'm calling it the wrong thing. His tongue curls up when he cries and when he's feeding it does too. He slips off and even with the shield, sometimes doesn't have good suction without repositioning a few times.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

sarasquiverfull
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:28 PM
It's posterior if that matters. He can stick his tongue out past his lips. He just often doesn't. She said a shield is "the cure"atleast temporarily until he gets bigger. I don't want to put him through surgery either if there is another way.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Quoting sarasquiverfull:

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Baby_Avas_Momma
by Gold Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:44 PM
There's always a reason to clip a tie, seriously, get it clipped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ProudMama011613
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:47 PM
I know the sheild is a pain but i just kept using it, and then i would try to ditch it and see if my son was ready and if he wasn't i would put the shield back on again, and over and over and over. He used it for about a month solid and then the weaning attempts took another couple weeks. They will eventually get comfortable with the switch =)
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 24, 2013 at 12:49 PM
Agreed!

Quoting Baby_Avas_Momma:

There's always a reason to clip a tie, seriously, get it clipped.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Definitely need to get that tie clipped. It's causing a problem both with the latch and with the milk transfer, particularly since your supply is regulated at this point. If your pedi is also IBCLC, I'm surprised she has told you it doesn't matter.
PoodleMum
by Silver Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Posterior ties are even worse imo, because they are usually dismissed as "too minimal to matter" or are never diagnosed.  Being able to stick your tonuge out has no bearing on function, it's the ability to move the back of the tongue that is restricted and a much needed ability.  It's a very simple procedure, really nothing to worry about at all :)  Trust me, it will be so much better if it's done!

Quoting sarasquiverfull:

It's posterior if that matters. He can stick his tongue out past his lips. He just often doesn't. She said a shield is "the cure"atleast temporarily until he gets bigger. I don't want to put him through surgery either if there is another way.

Quoting collinsmommy0:

Quoting sarasquiverfull:

Quoting collinsmommy0:

sarasquiverfull
by Member on Sep. 24, 2013 at 2:02 PM
I would need a referral from our pediatrician for insurance to cover it and she doesn't feel it's necessary. I chose her because of her breastfeeding education so switching docs isn't something I'd consider. My husband is currently unemployed so paying out of pocket isn't an option either.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN