Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

is this strange?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM
  • 14 Replies
my LO likes to sit facing me while nursing sometimes ( which isn't the strange part, I think this is cute) but today he kept stopping to play with my nipple for a min then straight back to nursing. strange is probably the wrong word but I'm not sure how I feel about him doing this
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 25, 2013 at 1:11 PM
3 moms liked this
My son would come off and kind of examine the nipple then go back to nursing. I never allowed playing with the nipple of any kind.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Quite normal. Allow it if it doesn't bother you, don't allow it if it does bother you.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:28 PM
2 moms liked this
I let my second ds do the nipple twiddling because it seemed so comforting to him but it quickly became the worst habit of all time, so irritating that I wanted to wean him. I sure didn't let the following babies try that. :-/

Quoting aehanrahan:

My son would come off and kind of examine the nipple then go back to nursing. I never allowed playing with the nipple of any kind.
Starshine-bela
by Leah on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM
is it weird that it doesn't bother me? I see it as him doing what he should be doing- exploring and trying to understand the world around him

Quoting gdiamante:

Quite normal. Allow it if it doesn't bother you, don't allow it if it does bother you.

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:54 PM
how did it become irritating?

Quoting mostlymaydays:

I let my second ds do the nipple twiddling because it seemed so comforting to him but it quickly became the worst habit of all time, so irritating that I wanted to wean him. I sure didn't let the following babies try that. :-/

Quoting aehanrahan:

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Sep. 25, 2013 at 2:56 PM
lol, he does that to my fiance

Quoting aehanrahan:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Nope. NOT weird.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

is it weird that it doesn't bother me? I see it as him doing what he should be doing- exploring and trying to understand the world around him

Quoting gdiamante:

Starshine-bela
by Leah on Sep. 25, 2013 at 3:17 PM
1 mom liked this
good, and to hell with anyone who argues with me

Quoting gdiamante:

Nope. NOT weird.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

Quoting gdiamante:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:39 PM
Nursing on one breast while the baby pinches and twists the other nipple is like nails on a chalkboard. It's too much stimulation. And it flippin hurts. And then it becomes subconscious so they barely think about it when they're doing it, which makes it hard to teach them to stop. And it's really hard to nurse in public when you're being mauled and are trying to cup your hand over the other breast.

Quoting Starshine-bela:

how did it become irritating?

Quoting mostlymaydays:

Quoting aehanrahan:

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 25, 2013 at 4:44 PM
2 moms liked this
For the record, I do NOT think its strange. Like you said, it's the baby making connections about their place in the world around them. And there are plenty of theories that the nipple twiddling actually serves the purpose of stimulating letdown, so it's very rewarding to the baby. For those of us who can't tolerate that behavior, they suggest that the baby be taught to pat or knead the breast instead of pinching the nipple. The natural behavior can be redirected into something more tolerable while still rewarding the baby with the letdown. :-)
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN