Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Am i making enough?

Posted by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM
  • 11 Replies
Hello ladies,i gave birth to my 5th son last wed on the 18th and hes been in the nicu since Friday,i have been pumping since then and only get about 1/2 oz to a little under 2oz from both breast together,i also nurse him when i visit him there. i gave up fairly quickly with my other 4 and just gave them formula,i really dont want to that this time. i dont think im making enough,im pumping all the time plus nursing him,i feel like im failing at this,since 1am this morning till now ive only pumped about under 7oz,he eats 2oz every 3hours.i bought the motherlove mothers milk plus ive only taken it 3 times,i still dont see a difference.
by on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:02 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 25, 2013 at 6:11 PM
Pumping amount is normal.
are you pumping every 2hrs around the clock? Try hands on pumping to help. Have a pic/blanket of baby. Pump while you visit.
Congrats on the newbie.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 25, 2013 at 8:37 PM
You need to pump for fifteen minutes every two hours. Three doses of mothers milk plus won't make a difference yet. You can also try power pumping to simulate cluster feeding. Pump ten minutes, rest for ten and repeat for an hour.That can simulate a growth spurt which helps bump up supply. Also steel cut oats. Buy some and eat them for breakfast. Ask the NICU nurse for one of his blankets (even if you have to take one and keep it in his bed for a day). Then hold the blanket and look at a pic of baby while pumping. Breast compressions can also help get the last bit of hind milk out. What kind of pump are you using?
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 25, 2013 at 9:30 PM

Hey I just had my 5th son 8 weeks ago!! Congrats!

How often are yuo pumping? you are getting alot already when you pump really!  AT his age 2 oz is still alot for him to drink.

How much water/fluid are you drinking?  How are you eatting?

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 25, 2013 at 11:26 PM
This.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

How often are yuo pumping? you are getting alot already when you pump really!  AT his age 2 oz is still alot for him to drink.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizardqueen2
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:29 AM

I've been pumping every 3 hours,I do have his picture and blanket 

Quoting melindabelcher:

Pumping amount is normal.
are you pumping every 2hrs around the clock? Try hands on pumping to help. Have a pic/blanket of baby. Pump while you visit.
Congrats on the newbie.

lizardqueen2
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Someone told me about the power pumping,does that really work?I'm using a Medela hospital grade pump,yesterday I pumped about 6 times and got 10oz and when I tried to pump by midnight,nothing was coming out anymore like I was drained out from all day,I did pump 1 oz after nursing him at 9 pm but my midnight noting only a drop,then I pumped this morning at 8 and pumped 2 oz 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

You need to pump for fifteen minutes every two hours. Three doses of mothers milk plus won't make a difference yet. You can also try power pumping to simulate cluster feeding. Pump ten minutes, rest for ten and repeat for an hour.That can simulate a growth spurt which helps bump up supply. Also steel cut oats. Buy some and eat them for breakfast. Ask the NICU nurse for one of his blankets (even if you have to take one and keep it in his bed for a day). Then hold the blanket and look at a pic of baby while pumping. Breast compressions can also help get the last bit of hind milk out. What kind of pump are you using?

lizardqueen2
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:38 AM

Congrats mama,i love my boys so much! I'm drinking all day,I'm trying to remember to eat when I can,I get busy with my other 4 and then going back and forth from the hospital.the hours fly by and I try to eat but I forget sometimes unless my stomach is growling. And sometimes when I nurse him I feel he's still hungry afterwards and he seems to be looking for the breast I get afraid he's not getting enough out 

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

melindabelcher
by mel on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:42 AM
You need to be getting up during the night and pumping. Aim for 10-12 sessions in 24hr. Your body isn't drained but your supply is naturally lower in the evening.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:09 AM
He may also be wanting to comfort nurse-needing his mamma. He is probably more alert as well. Any word on when they're going to let him come home?
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:18 AM
Yes it does. And if nothing comes out the entire fifteen minutes, still pump. It will stimulate you nipples and signal your body to make more milk.

Quoting lizardqueen2:

Someone told me about the power pumping,does that really work?I'm using a Medela hospital grade pump,yesterday I pumped about 6 times and got 10oz and when I tried to pump by midnight,nothing was coming out anymore like I was drained out from all day,I did pump 1 oz after nursing him at 9 pm but my midnight noting only a drop,then I pumped this morning at 8 and pumped 2 oz 

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)