Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

6 month dr visit

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM
  • 12 Replies

I just took my son to the doctor's yesterday for his 6 month wellness check. The doctorsaid that he's okay to start on solids; he's been on cereal 3x's a day since 4 months and breastmilk (cereal also mixed with breastmilk). 

Yesterday the nurse came in and measured him and all that and left then she comes back in and was like I have to remeasure him, according to his chart he grew 3 inches in a month and a half. H ealso only gained about 8 ounces in the month and a half.

Is this a good thing? Should I be worried? The doctor gave me round about answers. 

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:22 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:27 PM
I completely disagree with the cereals being given to babies, but that's not what your asking about. I would be concerned if baby hadn't gained six pounds since lowest birth weight. The gain isn't just from month to month, it's all of his weights compared to each other. You are looking for a pound a month and you only got half that this month. If he hasn't gained the six pounds, you should definitely consider stopping the cereals and waiting a few more weeks for food. Cereal doesn't have nearly half as much calories as bm and ds imply doesn't have what babies need.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 26, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Lowest weight is needed here. Cereal is a solid. Does your doctor know you already started solids at 4 months? This may what hindered weight gain if gain is not adequate based on lowest weight until now.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:45 PM
1 mom liked this
The cereal is a solid. It also hinders iron absorption and can make him anemic. Remember solids before 1 are only for fun. He does not need three "meals" of solid food until much much later. At this age breastmilk is needed because solids are not well absorbed. When looking at weight we look for an average of a pound a month from the lowest weight.
sammyantha2581
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:39 PM

he told me to start cereal at 4 months

Quoting stepconfused182:

Lowest weight is needed here. Cereal is a solid. Does your doctor know you already started solids at 4 months? This may what hindered weight gain if gain is not adequate based on lowest weight until now.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:47 PM
Complete weight history? It doesn't surprise me that his weight gain slowed when you began giving solids... that happens often when babies fill up on food that has fewer calories and fewer nutrients than breastmilk. Are you nursing fully immediately before giving solids?
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:05 PM
Be aware that most doctors know little or nothing about infant nutrition or breastfeeding. The gut is porous or open before six months. Anything other than breastmilk is not only poorly digested, it has the potential to cause allergies or sensitivities. Breastmilk should be the main and major source of calories through the first year. Solids are for fun only and should only be given after a full nursing session.
I would advise taking a nursing holiday for at least twenty four hours. Take the baby to bed with you and nurse every time he wiggles. No solids at all for a few days. Look up virgin gut and baby-led solids.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:44 PM

Let that be the LAST bit of nutritional advice you ever take from him. Solids slow growth in babies.  Back to a breastmilk baseline. No cereal. Really... it's just junk.

Sadly dcotors don't get trained on feeding babies, except for the marketing materials from the manufacturers of infant foods. Not exactly unbiased!

Quoting sammyantha2581:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Cruz-s-mommy
by Amanda on Sep. 26, 2013 at 11:45 PM
I agree with everyone else! I would discontinue ceereals completely and stay away from all other solids for a few weeks minimum. When and if you reinttroduce solids before his first birthday, give them only directly following a complete nursing session! Good luck mama!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:56 AM

He only gained 8 oz in 6 weeks because of the cereals.  Since your LO has been given ceral yur LO has BEEN on solids..cereals are solids.  They werent supposed to be started til 6 months.  Make sure to nurse before any bites of solids, nurse nurse nurse and try to give nutrient dense foods like squash, sweet potato and avacado

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 27, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Which is against World Health organization AND American academy of pediatrics both of which are huge medical boards he should be listening too!

Quoting sammyantha2581:

Quoting stepconfused182:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)