Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

How do you deal with pushy relatives?

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM
  • 18 Replies

I've never really dealt with pushy relatives but I read all the time about moms who do. How do you deal with pushy relatives?

by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
isaacsmommy68
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM
2 moms liked this

IGNORE THEM!

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:37 PM

I ignore them.

hriabywx4
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:48 PM
3 moms liked this
I have only had to deal with one pushy relative, my FIL. He gave his opinion one too many times and I informed him that he had two children that he had "raised", he had his chance! These are mine and dh's children and we will raise them as we see fit! I think I threw a few choice words in there too!

The next day he told me I was right, it was our right to raise our kids the way we want. Lol duh

We actually have a great relationship and he has learned a lot about breast feeding and is a supporter now :)
lillybug222
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:49 PM
I ignore them.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM
My mother is a pushy one, however she has no issue with bfing other than she finds it weird that I'm still doing it since my kid is older and I'm pregnant.
My mil just thinks it's weird I won't give him what she calls regular milk. My in laws think I do a lot of weird things, but they raised their kids on coffee, soda and mcdonalds, so I like that they find me weird.
My mom thinks it's weird I don't do spoon feeding because she didn't let us feed ourselves until we were much older and in school, and even then we were both spoon fed breakfast and dinner.
Nobody has issues with what I do, they just don't understand anything so they ask stupid questions and try to argue with me convincing me that I should do what they did.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
audmom1218
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:01 PM
1 mom liked this
The ones who are just ignorant but willing to learn I try to educate. The ones who are ignorant and bull headed I avoid/change the topic. The ones not willing to learn never have dd in their care. My gram, my cousin, my dad, and DHs parents are the only ones (besides daycare) who have watched dd. If I trust you, then you have free reign to make educated decisions. If I don't trust you, you will never be put in the situation to make those decisions.
YzmaRocks
by Silver Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:06 PM
Smile, nod, ignore. Repeat if necessary.
mrsbrand
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 2:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I tell them they are welcome to research the issue and look up the current WHO/AAP reccomendations and we'll have an informed discussion. Ive yet to have an antagonistic relative/in-law do research. 

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:21 PM
If it's my parents I tell them I do not wish to hear their opinions because this is MY child and nobody's opinions matter but mine, dh's and the baby's. If it's my in laws... I let dh handle it. His mom scares the jeepers outta me!
thundersky
by Bronze Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:25 PM
1 mom liked this

before i had kids i did so many things against the grain of my family that they are use to it now. LOL i know that they probably talk about me behind my back but they know better then to try and get me to do any thing i dont want to do already.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN