Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

I need links please!

Posted by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
  • 14 Replies
I need links to actual studies stating that no other milk alternative is necessary as long as baby is still nursing three times a day, please! I found it on kellymom.com but would like to know where her info came from.

Aiden's pedi is still not happy even though he has gained an inch and a half and a pound and a half in the last three months.
by on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:23 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this
She is an IBCLC--her credentials are listed at the tops of her articles. The references should be listed at the bottom.
Remind me of his weight history. Any lip or tongue ties? Any other available pediatricians?

Margarett RBC Zavodnyteal ribbon

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 26, 2013 at 4:05 PM
The sources are all linked at the bottom of the page. Just reaffirming that the baby in question is over 12 months of age...
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:25 PM
yes he went from 19-5 and 29" to 20-13 and 31" between his 12 month visit and his 15 month visit.

Quoting K8wizzo:

The sources are all linked at the bottom of the page. Just reaffirming that the baby in question is over 12 months of age...

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 5:30 PM
Yes he is tongue tied.
Born 8.7
lowest (day 2) 8.3
one week 8.7
3 weeks 9.6
2 months 11.3
4 months 14.3
6 months 16.3
9 months 18 lbs even
12 months 19.5
15 months 20.13

She's upset because he only drinks water, five ounces of cows milk (just because he likes it) and nurses. She says he needs a minimum of 24 ounces of cows milk a day... nursing doesn't count.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

She is an IBCLC--her credentials are listed at the tops of her articles. The references should be listed at the bottom.

Remind me of his weight history. Any lip or tongue ties? Any other available pediatricians?

stepconfused182
by Kelley on Sep. 26, 2013 at 6:01 PM
She is wrong. The max amount anyone should get of cows milk is 24oz per day, not the minimum. It's recommended that children get 16-24oz per day of cows milk, but not if they're nursing and/or getting their fat, protein and calcium elsewhere. You don't need to show your ped anything. This is your child.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Yes he is tongue tied.

Born 8.7

lowest (day 2) 8.3

one week 8.7

3 weeks 9.6

2 months 11.3

4 months 14.3

6 months 16.3

9 months 18 lbs even

12 months 19.5

15 months 20.13

She's upset because he only drinks water, five ounces of cows milk (just because he likes it) and nurses. She says he needs a minimum of 24 ounces of cows milk a day... nursing doesn't count.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:23 PM
This doctor is very wrong, why are you trying to convince her of anything? You don't need her to agree with what you're feeding your kid. You could be giving your son Koolaid and Ice cream for breakfast and it would be none of her business.
That weight gain is concerning, I would suggest giving more bm since he hasn't gained 15 pounds in his fifteen months of life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:33 PM
After the first year, the expected weight gain drops (actually, after 6 months it does). There's no problem with the weight gain.

Quoting polkaspots:

This doctor is very wrong, why are you trying to convince her of anything? You don't need her to agree with what you're feeding your kid. You could be giving your son Koolaid and Ice cream for breakfast and it would be none of her business.

That weight gain is concerning, I would suggest giving more bm since he hasn't gained 15 pounds in his fifteen months of life.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 7:37 PM
I guess that makes sense.

Quoting K8wizzo:

After the first year, the expected weight gain drops (actually, after 6 months it does). There's no problem with the weight gain.

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sugarcrisp
by Member on Sep. 26, 2013 at 8:18 PM

IMO All you need to is to tell the doctor 'I appreciate your concern but based on my research and his steady growth patterns, I am not concerned and am comfortable with the decisions I am making for my child. If you'd like, visit Kellymom.' Leave it at that.

If she continues- maybe it's time to switch pedi's and file a complaint for a pedi advising against EBF, which is what this sounds like. Again.. MO

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 26, 2013 at 9:52 PM
This is what confuses me... after all of that talk she hands me a paper of "what to expect at fifteen months..." and the first thing it said was "breastfeeding is still encouraged!" Pppht... yea right!

Quoting sugarcrisp:

IMO All you need to is to tell the doctor 'I appreciate your concern but based on my research and his steady growth patterns, I am not concerned and am comfortable with the decisions I am making for my child. If you'd like, visit Kellymom.' Leave it at that.

If she continues- maybe it's time to switch pedi's and file a complaint for a pedi advising against EBF, which is what this sounds like. Again.. MO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)