Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Expressing milk.

Posted by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM
  • 23 Replies

So I'm trying hand expression and pumping to get my milk flowing again and I can only get 1 mL total from both breasts from hand expression and nothing from pumping. Is that alright? I try to latch my son every chance I get but he has a hard time latching. I want him to get my milk though. How do I get more out?

by on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:13 AM

At night that's a LOT. Don't bother expressing at night unless you're exclusviely pumping. Just do it in the morning.

You'll have an easier time continuing to work on his latching.

RoseDryer
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:16 AM

1 mL is a lot? I thought 1 oz is a lot.

Quoting gdiamante:

At night that's a LOT. Don't bother expressing at night unless you're exclusviely pumping. Just do it in the morning.

You'll have an easier time continuing to work on his latching.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:18 AM

One DROP is a lot at night! Most women can't even pump that much at night. Output drops as the sun goes down. At night baby will be more effective than anything else. And probably more willing; sleepiness makes them a bit more willing to work.

RoseDryer
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Is it okay to get that everytime I try to hand express?

Quoting gdiamante:

One DROP is a lot at night! Most women can't even pump that much at night. Output drops as the sun goes down. At night baby will be more effective than anything else. And probably more willing; sleepiness makes them a bit more willing to work.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:26 AM

Technically, anything you get while expressing is "ok." No kind of expression is ever going to get what baby gets. Baby will always get more.

There are women who can breastfeed twins and never get ONE drop from even the best pump in the world.

Quoting RoseDryer:

Quoting gdiamante:

RoseDryer
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 1:31 AM

okay well that's great to know!

Quoting gdiamante:

Technically, anything you get while expressing is "ok." No kind of expression is ever going to get what baby gets. Baby will always get more.

There are women who can breastfeed twins and never get ONE drop from even the best pump in the world.

Quoting RoseDryer:

Quoting gdiamante:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:23 AM
Has baby been checked for tongue tie, lip tie, or high palate?
RoseDryer
by Member on Sep. 27, 2013 at 7:59 AM

He might have been checked at the hospital but I'll ask at his next dr. app.

Quoting K8wizzo:

Has baby been checked for tongue tie, lip tie, or high palate?

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 27, 2013 at 12:14 PM

Just keep putting bay to the breast momma!!

RoseDryer
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Baby doesn't know how to go to breast.

Quoting tabi_cat1023:

Just keep putting bay to the breast momma!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)