Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

ok, I need help...

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
  • 13 Replies
Seb got thrush. I took him to the Dr on the 11th. Got Nystatin suspension. Doc told me to rub in his mouth and on my nips to prevent it from spreading to me. His cleared up and I got it...this sh*t hurts!! My right nipple looks like it's got ringworm, it's a deep red all the way around, parts are peeling and raised. It hurts horribly when he latches and now it's starting on the left. I use nystatin 3+ times a day, let it air dry, etc and it's not getting any better. I'd post a pic but I think its against the rules.

Help!! What do I do??
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:24 PM

Ditch the Nystatin!! That stuff actually makes thrush worse! Vinegar, coconut oil, and Genetian Violet are great remedies for thrush that you can get in the drug store.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:28 PM
Vinegar...how?? I'm willing to try anything!

Short of my boobs falling off, I won't stop nursing my son (he's only 8 months old) but it has become so painful that I dread it...and I am NOT like that!

Quoting aehanrahan:

Ditch the Nystatin!! That stuff actually makes thrush worse! Vinegar, coconut oil, and Genetian Violet are great remedies for thrush that you can get in the drug store.

mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:34 PM
Gentian violet, protocol on kellymom.com
307mama
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I was always told to go for the gentian violet too. But it will make you purple :)
307mama
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM
I was always told to go for the gentian violet too. But it will make you purple :)
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:36 PM
The nystatin suspension has sugar in it, which feeds yeast. You can use a nystatin cream, you just ned to wipe it off before feedings. Wash all shirts, bras, dipes, bedding on hot with 1 cup of vinegar added to the wash. There are good directions on kellymom for dealing with thrush as well.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:45 PM
You can make a vinegar wash to use on your nipples. It is also good for putting in the laundry to kill the yeast on your clothes. Coconut oil is good also and I think it is okay for baby's mouth and will help prevent some staining from the genetian violet.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bebe_ju-rah
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 8:53 PM
I have the cream too and used that for a couple days and that's when it seemed to get worse!

Quoting K8wizzo:

The nystatin suspension has sugar in it, which feeds yeast. You can use a nystatin cream, you just ned to wipe it off before feedings. Wash all shirts, bras, dipes, bedding on hot with 1 cup of vinegar added to the wash. There are good directions on kellymom for dealing with thrush as well.
Junebaby18
by Nannerz on Sep. 28, 2013 at 9:28 PM
1 mom liked this
Go to a pharmacy and get Gentian Violet. It is a small bottle that costs between $1.50-$10 depending on the brand and concentration. Call pharmacy first to see if they have it in stock. If not they can usually order it and it will come in the next day.
Take a cotton ball and swab your nipples with it and latch baby on. This stuff stains so wear old clothes until its faded. This should only take 3-4 days and thrush should be gone.

If you are nursing and pumping too, boil the pump parts too. Also wash your bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water.

Boil everything that comes in contact with babies saliva and your breasts: pacifiers, bottles, nipples, pump parts, etc.
Do a vinegar rinse of your nipples after every feeding. Dip a cotton ball in vinegar and swab onto your nipples. Use a new one for the other side. Do not redip the cotton ball. Use a cotton swab dipped in vinegar and swab baby's tongue, gums, check. Wash bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water. Change disposable nursing pads at every feeding or as they get wet.

ETA: This is everything that I have gathered over the time I have been on here regarding thrush. I any of this is incorrect, someone please let me know.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 29, 2013 at 12:41 AM

Quoting Junebaby18:

Go to a pharmacy and get Gentian Violet. It is a small bottle that costs between $1.50-$10 depending on the brand and concentration. Call pharmacy first to see if they have it in stock. If not they can usually order it and it will come in the next day.
Take a cotton ball and swab your nipples with it and latch baby on. This stuff stains so wear old clothes until its faded. This should only take 3-4 days and thrush should be gone.

If you are nursing and pumping too, boil the pump parts too. Also wash your bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water.

Boil everything that comes in contact with babies saliva and your breasts: pacifiers, bottles, nipples, pump parts, etc.
Do a vinegar rinse of your nipples after every feeding. Dip a cotton ball in vinegar and swab onto your nipples. Use a new one for the other side. Do not redip the cotton ball. Use a cotton swab dipped in vinegar and swab baby's tongue, gums, check. Wash bras and washable nursing pads in HOT water with vinegar in the rinse water. Change disposable nursing pads at every feeding or as they get wet.

ETA: This is everything that I have gathered over the time I have been on here regarding thrush. I any of this is incorrect, someone please let me know.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN