Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Back to work on Monday and baby suddenly refusing bottle :(

Posted by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
  • 9 Replies
So my maternity leave will be ending on Monday :( My 3 month old has taken bottles in the past, from me, my 3 year old son, my husband, my mom and a babysitter. But suddenly she is refusing to drink it from anyone. She will be at daycare for 9 hours starting Monday. I have read a lot on this subject. It is just so frustrating.
by on Sep. 28, 2013 at 10:07 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:06 PM

At daycare she may decide to take a bottle. Or she'll simply wait for you to come home. She won't starve herself.

It's REALLY common for babies to suddenly refuse bottles when they've been taking them. It's why we don't suggest practicing ahead of time. But baby is able to take a cup too.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 28, 2013 at 11:48 PM
My guy starts needing bottles while I work Monday too. When your LO needs a bottle he WILL take it...or he wont and he will reverse cycle. Either way it will be ok
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Sep. 29, 2013 at 1:19 AM

What they said. Reverse cycling is ok as long as you nurse completely on demand when you're together.

MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:51 AM
This is why we don't suggest introducing bottles to "get baby used to them". It's completely normal and if he gets hungry enough on Monday he will take it.
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:52 AM
You can also suggest to the daycare staff spoon feeding, syringe feeding, open cup feeding... just to name a few alternative options.
LilliesValley
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:02 PM

She's probably picking up your negative feelings with returning to work. Any apprehension and the baby is going to sense it. She'll eat even at day care when she's hungry. Just try to put yourself at ease and I think you will find that will help baby to be at ease.

MommyLove707
by New Member on Oct. 4, 2013 at 10:49 PM

Thanks everyone.  She did take her bottles at daycare with no problem.  Thank goodness!

Kasey91286
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:10 PM

i just started back to work and my baby would take a bottle for her baby sitter but not my husband when he would watch her part of the day.

Now she has stopped taking a bottle for the baby sitter and waits until i get off work to nurse. She goes 9 - 10 hours without eating and I feel like an awful mother. I also think that she is trying to mask the hunger because she has been sleeping a lot and sucking her thumb all the time at the babysitter.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:25 PM

Quoting Kasey91286:

i just started back to work and my baby would take a bottle for her baby sitter but not my husband when he would watch her part of the day.

Now she has stopped taking a bottle for the baby sitter and waits until i get off work to nurse. She goes 9 - 10 hours without eating and I feel like an awful mother. I also think that she is trying to mask the hunger because she has been sleeping a lot and sucking her thumb all the time at the babysitter.

Babies don't know how to mask hunger. When they're hungry they eat no matter how the food is offered.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)