Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is it safe to take antibiotics while breastfeeding?

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM
  • 11 Replies
My ds is 15 weeks old and I went for a teeth cleaning and I have an abcess in my gums so I need a root canal but in the meantime to get rid of the infection I was given bactrim ds, I have looked it up but one source says it's fine and then another source says it's not. I don't know what to do, I need to get rid of the infection so I can have the root canal plus my tooth is starting to throb, but I don't want to give my ds anything that's gonna hurt him. Help!
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:07 PM
Bactrim is fine. It is prescribed to infants in far larger doses than would be received through your milk. Just be sure to eat yogurt or take probiotics and give some to baby to prevent thrush.
Mammacra
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:11 PM
Yes you will be fine but take tons of probiotics & give them to baby too! Eat yogurt a few times a day also will help! You & your baby will be miserable if you both end up w/ thrush :-( they have infant probiotic drops available at your local pharmacy you have to ask for them be prepared for sticker shock they are $39.99 a bottle & I mean less than half an oz but worth it!!!! Good luck
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 29, 2013 at 5:15 PM
You can just open adult capsules or get culturelle kids powder packs and have baby suck some of the powder off of your finger or nipple, or mix it with applesauce, yogurt, etc. Much cheaper. :)

Quoting Mammacra:

Yes you will be fine but take tons of probiotics & give them to baby too! Eat yogurt a few times a day also will help! You & your baby will be miserable if you both end up w/ thrush :-( they have infant probiotic drops available at your local pharmacy you have to ask for them be prepared for sticker shock they are $39.99 a bottle & I mean less than half an oz but worth it!!!! Good luck
ckroch
by Colleen on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:28 PM
:-)

Don't give with applesauce or yogurt- baby is way too young for that.

Quoting K8wizzo:

You can just open adult capsules or get culturelle kids powder packs and have baby suck some of the powder off of your finger or nipple, or mix it with applesauce, yogurt, etc. Much cheaper. :)

Quoting Mammacra:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:36 PM
I think she read it as fifteen months, because I did too and was very confused by your comment until I re read the post.

Quoting ckroch:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting Mammacra:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ckroch
by Colleen on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:38 PM
Yes, that's what I figured. Also thought OP would know better than to give yogurt or applesauce- but wanted to make sure.

Quoting polkaspots:

I think she read it as fifteen months, because I did too and was very confused by your comment until I re read the post.

Quoting ckroch:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting Mammacra:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM
You'd be surprised, my mom bf but thought baby yogurt was safe to give tiny babies.

Quoting ckroch:

Yes, that's what I figured. Also thought OP would know better than to give yogurt or applesauce- but wanted to make sure.

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting ckroch:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting Mammacra:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:49 PM
You're right... I read 15 months, not 15 weeks. Oops!

Quoting ckroch:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting Mammacra:

vcaa4
by Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:33 PM
Thank you for the advice! I went and got probiotics and yogurt. But the pharmacy was closed and they didn't have any infant ones on the shelf so I will go get them tomorrow.
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 29, 2013 at 8:37 PM

Good luck momma absesses SUCK big time!  I use colloidal silver to treat mine instead of meds

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)