Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

overfeeding baby boy????

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM
  • 23 Replies
baby boy is going on 14weeks (on Tuesday) he literally wants to eat all day everyday. He could stay latches on 24/7 if I let him. He will cry and cry until I latch him on even if he just ate. It seems he's just gaining weight. 7lbs at birth 12lbs 11oz as of last Wednesday and before that he was 11lbs 11oz the Friday before. is it normal for him to want to eat ALL the time? literally if he eats for a long period of time (maybe 25mins one side) i'll burp him, he'll spit up a ton of milk and want to latch right back on. I dont want to overfeed him and hurt his tummy. I feed on demand. he rarely gets pumped milk (only when someone wants to be able to feed him). I'm a little worried that Im doing something wrong .

Help?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:35 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:40 PM
It sounds to me like he's comfort nursing and having trouble switching back and forth between drinking and comfort sucking. Unless it seems like the spitting up is making him uncomfortable, I'd just keep doing what you're doing.
Actually almost six pounds of weight gain and one of those pounds gained within a week leads me to believe that you're using different scales because that sounds kind of crazy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ldylancer03
by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:43 PM
Did you try a binky? My son was like that but I realize he just wanted the sucking part. Once we did the binky right after eating he was good to go. Good luck
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:46 PM
one scale was in the hospital. the other scale was at the Dr. office. The spit up doesn't really seem to bother him unless he cant burp. is 6lbs a good or bad thing????

Quoting polkaspots:

It sounds to me like he's comfort nursing and having trouble switching back and forth between drinking and comfort sucking. Unless it seems like the spitting up is making him uncomfortable, I'd just keep doing what you're doing.

Actually almost six pounds of weight gain and one of those pounds gained within a week leads me to believe that you're using different scales because that sounds kind of crazy.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:48 PM
I give him a bink when he wants it. But lately hes been spitting it out and trying to latch. The only time he will consistently take a bink is when his dad is holding him.

Quoting ldylancer03:

Did you try a binky? My son was like that but I realize he just wanted the sucking part. Once we did the binky right after eating he was good to go. Good luck

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Continue to feed on demand. All is well, Mama.
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 6:58 PM
even with all the spit up??

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:00 PM
Spit up is a laundry problem, not a medical one. I suspect that you probably have a bit of oversupply or overactive letdown that will settle down as time goes by. If baby is happy, no worries.

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

Quoting K8wizzo:

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:28 PM
It's a good thing. He gained more than enough weight. Fussiness caused by gas is also quite normal. Fussiness caused by spit up can indicate reflux, which is why I asked. If he's a happy spitter you've got nothing to be concerned about.

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

one scale was in the hospital. the other scale was at the Dr. office. The spit up doesn't really seem to bother him unless he cant burp. is 6lbs a good or bad thing????

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM
I had oversupply in the beginning but I thought it had eased up. I thought because he was eating so much that I wasnt making enough. I'm sorry I dont understand what a laundry problem is?? hes only fussy if I DONT latch him so I will continue .

Quoting K8wizzo:

Spit up is a laundry problem, not a medical one. I suspect that you probably have a bit of oversupply or overactive letdown that will settle down as time goes by. If baby is happy, no worries.

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SendMeBabyDust
by Bronze Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 7:52 PM
the Dr. said he possibly has reflux but gave him nothing for it. He seems happy but fussy when I dont latch him right away. I guess that is why so I will stop trying to deny him the boob.

Quoting polkaspots:

It's a good thing. He gained more than enough weight. Fussiness caused by gas is also quite normal. Fussiness caused by spit up can indicate reflux, which is why I asked. If he's a happy spitter you've got nothing to be concerned about.

Quoting SendMeBabyDust:

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)