Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New to group

Posted by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM
  • 6 Replies

Hi my name is Kaye.  My son is 20 days old  and I am a brews feeding momma. However it's a lot hard than I thought it would be and very time consuming. I pump so I can measure his intake so it seems like I  am dong double the work. Some days I just want to give up but I am hanging on by a thread. Looking  forward to learning about other moms experiences with breast feeding.

Kaye

by on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
shortyali
by Alicia on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:41 PM
Welcome!!

Easiest way to measure intake is set out 6 diapers in the morning. As long as in 24 hours they all disappear then your supply is fine. At 20 days I royals go crazy nursing and pumping. Plus all pumping tells you is how well you respond to a pump.
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 9:44 PM
You are doing double the work. It's a lot easier to keep track of what's going out than what's going in. It's also very easy to overfeed a breastfed baby using bottles. Baby can get more milk than a pump, so it's better to nurse directly and let baby have as much milk as he wants instead of only as much as you could get with the pump.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Sep. 29, 2013 at 10:09 PM
Congrats on the newbie! :-) I agree with the pp that the pumping is going to make you unnecessarily crazy. And tired. And insecure. Even the best pumps are less than half as efficient as a baby at removing milk, and some moms, myself included, don't respond well to even those best pumps yet can breastfeed without supplements. Set out 6 diapers in the morning and if they're all gone 24 hours later than you can be reasonably assure the baby is getting plenty. Dump the pump for a while. Enjoy the baby. Hang in there as the 3 week growth spurt is a doozy.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:48 PM
It's best to just nurse on demand. Offer the breast every time he wiggles. The more you nurse, the better he builds your supply. Offering bottles this early runs the risk of him not wanting to latch on to the breast. Remember, mothers did this for millennia without even thinking about it!
tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:55 PM

HUGS momma I know you want to measure but DONT because baby knows what he needs an every feed varies because its what baby needs at that moment..

6 diapers in 24 hours is what you want...if you get that everything is perfect

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Sep. 29, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Congrats btw my guy is 2 months!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)