Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Ds not gaining weight

Posted by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM
  • 7 Replies
Ds is 22 months. Since he was 11 months he has only gained 1lb. Now he was a heavy baby. Born at 10lbs and now he weighs 28lbs. But for a whole year has only gained 1lb. I had my dd4 at the doc for her check up and doc noticed the weight of ds from last week when he was sick and said at his next check up we need to talk about it. What should I do? He still bf ALOT several times at night still even. He does eat food but mostly just snacks. I would love to wean but if he doesn't get the boob he throws the biggest tantrum until he gets it, ugh. Any advice?
by on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
MommySarah986
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:41 PM
Bump
K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 30, 2013 at 8:56 PM
Is he healthy? Meeting milestones? Eating a variety of foods? Active?
MommySarah986
by Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:12 PM
He seems healthy. He is meeting milestones except I feel he isn't talking much yet. He doesn't eat a lot of food just snacks. He is extremely picky.

Quoting K8wizzo:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Sep. 30, 2013 at 9:43 PM
If you have concerns about speech, call your county's early intervention office to request an evaluation. It's free and they may be able to help with feeding issues as well.

Quoting MommySarah986:

He seems healthy. He is meeting milestones except I feel he isn't talking much yet. He doesn't eat a lot of food just snacks. He is extremely picky.

Quoting K8wizzo:

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:31 PM

If you wean him the gain may become worse. I'd continue the nursing and I'd use the "before age 1" technique; nurse first solids after. See if that makes a difference. 

Cleo07
by Bronze Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:53 PM
My kids gained early and quickly also. They really gained very little weight after about nine months (walked at eight) till about 2 or so. My peds never were worried nor was I.

As far as the speech, if he is not meeting the minimum recommendation at his two year visit, ask for a speech evaluation (they will do this anyway likely).

But to make you feel better, my baby is turning two this Saturday. At twenty one months, he had six words and barely used them. I was slightly worried about apraxia because my other kids always were ahead of milestones in language. Suddenly, the language explosion happened and he is now using probably a 500 hundred word vocabulary and simple sentences in only two months. It was crazy. I was fully expecting a speech consult because he was so late. Do lots of reading and talking with him. The more language he hears the better for him.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
collinsmommy0
by Gold Member on Sep. 30, 2013 at 11:56 PM
28 pounds & your dr is worried????

DS is 25 pounds at age 2.5. But he steadily gained since birth, always in the bottom percentiles. Maybe he's just a lower weight kid & is adjusting to it by not gaining weight.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)