Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

pacifiers while breastfeeding

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:08 AM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
What are your opinions on pacifiers? I think that it would probably interfere with breastfeeding. Sometimes when nursing he will just lay there not eating. . Like he just wants something in his mouth. So if he cries ill give him a Pacifier. I don't give it to him that much though. . I don't want him to be used to it.
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mel0dy
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:12 AM

My DD didnt like them. Sometimes i wish she did because the break would have been nice. She liked usingmy nipple as a paci

happymommy1105
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:08 AM

i have had 2 babies that i have nursed and they both had paci's never had a problem nursing either baby.

JoeysApple
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:09 AM

I've never worried about it. I started using the Soothie pacifiers when he was a few days old. I've had 2 lactation consultants tell me binkies that are rounded (without that flat edge) are best because the flat edge can create a bad habit where the baby pushes the nipple out with their tongue. If you're concerned, I've read waiting until breastfeeding is established for a few weeks should prevent the nipple confusion.

I'm bringing intact back! His body, his choice.

Mrs.Pedro
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:12 AM
I'm all for pacifiers and thumbs so long as they don't interfere with milk supply. I gave my second son a paci when he was tired, just wanting to suck without actually getting milk and in the car, and he never had any issues with latching and I never had milk supply issues.
angela84
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:13 AM
1 mom liked this

I've only been bfing for 5 weeks now since my baby was born. Initially, I was told not to introduce a pacifier until breastfeeding is established (around 3 weeks-ish) but my baby was a champion eater right out of the womb and we had zero difficulties with latching and sucking etc... While in the hospital I did end up giving her a pacifier because I asked a nurse and she said that she didn't think it would be a problem since my baby was so good at breast feeding. And she was right. It hasn't caused any issues.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 3:01 AM
I only had one that was bf exclusively and he took a pacifier for the first 8 months or so and then just stopped. Never had any issue with nursing though. I know we were lucky with him though and we have decided not to give the next kid a pacifier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SMTCMMoore
by Melissa on Oct. 7, 2013 at 4:42 AM
One of my 4 liked it and she was my longest nurser. Some babies need to suck more than others. I'm not opposed to them, I wish my 2 month old would take one!
kjlmommy
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I wish my breastfed babies took pacifiers!  None of them would for more than a couple of months.  I'm all in favor of them.  I don't really see how they could interfere with breastfeeding... they aren't getting anything filling from them!  If you aren't sure, wait a few weeks, but by then they may not take to it.  

nickname-mommy
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:37 AM

thos are the same ones that i used. and i only used them after i was sure that he was done nursing and was just confort sucking.

Quoting JoeysApple:

I've never worried about it. I started using the Soothie pacifiers when he was a few days old. I've had 2 lactation consultants tell me binkies that are rounded (without that flat edge) are best because the flat edge can create a bad habit where the baby pushes the nipple out with their tongue. If you're concerned, I've read waiting until breastfeeding is established for a few weeks should prevent the nipple confusion.

MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:40 AM
My oldest I didn't give one to, but DS had one for a few months.
He was starting to suck his thumb, I figured a paci would be easier to break than thumb sucking.
He stopped taking it on his own at 8 months. And now at 9 months still no paci and no thumb! So it worked for us, no issues bf.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN