Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Depleted supply?

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM
  • 24 Replies

I started birth control yesterday at 6 p.m. Just one pill, and I swear it has depleted my supply! Last night at 10:30 DS was squirming all over the place. I couldn't get him to burp no matter how hard I tried. He was on and off the nipple, yelling at it, wiggling around. I couldn't figure out what was going on. 

Normally when I wake up in the mornings, I'm pretty engorged, but this morning they were super floppy. I still noticed that when he pulled off I was spraying him. But there is definitely less milk in there. 

Am I being crazy? Could one pill have really effected me that quickly? Should I stop taking it and just go the old high school pull out route? LOL 

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 7, 2013 at 9:50 AM

One pill of what kind? If it was combination, with estrogen, that's a KNOWN supply killer and yes it can impact that quickly.

Some women have the same problem with the minipill as well. Which rules out things like Mirena for you.

DO NOT DO PULLOUT unless you don't care whether you get pregnant. While it's supposedly effective more than 90% of the time that's assuming correct use. And frankly, sperm is present from the moment of erection so unless you want to wash him off the minute he's erect, pullout is already too late a lot of the time. (I have a lot of pullout cousins. Breastfeeding and pullout were the methods; we number 40.)

You can use Natural Family Planning, condoms and diaphragm, Paragard (non-hormonal) IUD.

Rae706
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:31 AM
It's errin, generic for ortho micronor

Quoting gdiamante:

One pill of what kind? If it was combination, with estrogen, that's a KNOWN supply killer and yes it can impact that quickly.

Some women have the same problem with the minipill as well. Which rules out things like Mirena for you.

DO NOT DO PULLOUT unless you don't care whether you get pregnant. While it's supposedly effective more than 90% of the time that's assuming correct use. And frankly, sperm is present from the moment of erection so unless you want to wash him off the minute he's erect, pullout is already too late a lot of the time. (I have a lot of pullout cousins. Breastfeeding and pullout were the methods; we number 40.)

You can use Natural Family Planning, condoms and diaphragm, Paragard (non-hormonal) IUD.

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 7, 2013 at 10:56 AM

So minipill. But we have seen some moms hit supply issues with it.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:22 AM
1 mom liked this

It's entirely possible that you are one of the few who is sensitive to the minipill.  Don't take it this evening and your supply should bounce back.  I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  We used the fertility awareness method with condoms on fertile days.

Beenhereforever
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:27 AM
I have a really good recipe for lactation cookies. ,also just nurse more often if you can to build supply back up
Rae706
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:30 AM

I really hate condoms, they make it burn and feel raw, but I could handle it if it were just a few days a month. However, if I have to read a book to understand when I need to use a condom, it's probably too involved. I need to KNOW that I am not getting pregnant. I want another baby, but it just CANNOT happen right now. You know?

Quoting K8wizzo:

It's entirely possible that you are one of the few who is sensitive to the minipill.  Don't take it this evening and your supply should bounce back.  I highly recommend the book Taking Charge of Your Fertility.  We used the fertility awareness method with condoms on fertile days.

JadeTigr7
by Crystal on Oct. 7, 2013 at 11:35 AM
2 moms liked this

It's not really that involved.

If you read the book, and understand your body you'll KNOW you're not getting pregnant.

I've used NFP for the past 8 years and have never gotten pregnant when I haven't wanted to.  We plan on using it through menopause. 

Quoting Rae706:

I really hate condoms, they make it burn and feel raw, but I could handle it if it were just a few days a month. However, if I have to read a book to understand when I need to use a condom, it's probably too involved. I need to KNOW that I am not getting pregnant. I want another baby, but it just CANNOT happen right now. You know?

Quoting K8wizzo:

~Crystal~

Homeschooling Mama to James, Jade, Steven, Willow and Katara
Wifey to Michael since 3-30-05

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:33 PM
1 mom liked this
Knowing your signs of ovulation is something all women should know anyway.
You don't ever have to use condoms if you avoid sex while you're ovulating. Plus, you'll KNOW that you won't be pregnant that way.

Quoting JadeTigr7:

It's not really that involved.

If you read the book, and understand your body you'll KNOW you're not getting pregnant.

I've used NFP for the past 8 years and have never gotten pregnant when I haven't wanted to.  We plan on using it through menopause. 

Quoting Rae706:

Quoting K8wizzo:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:35 PM
1 mom liked this

There is an easier way then charting, though it's nowhere near as secure. If you want sex DO NOT HAVE IT. Libido increases when you're fertile.

Rae706
by Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 6:10 PM

That sounds awful! LOL

Quoting gdiamante:

There is an easier way then charting, though it's nowhere near as secure. If you want sex DO NOT HAVE IT. Libido increases when you're fertile.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN