Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Traveling with breastmilk

Posted by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
  • 13 Replies

I am flying for the very first time in my life on Wednesday to Minnesota for 4 days on a business trip and I will be leaving my exclusive breastfed/breastmilk/bottle baby with her father and my mother-in-law.

I am needing advice on flying with breastmilk, as you all know breastmilk is like pure gold so the thought of me pumping and dumping is making me sick to my stomach.

I would like to know that I can pump as much as I want to while away and I won't have any trouble at the airport in bringing my milk back home for my little one.

Also some re-assuring words that she will be in good hands with her daddy watching her would be appreciated (LOL)  Don't get me wrong he is a great daddy but I am always there. I am the feeder, the changer, the rocker, the bather... he is pretty much the playtime and when mommy needs a break...  more nervous about this issue than the milk issue... LOL

As always would love any advice or comments

by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 7, 2013 at 12:57 PM
I did the same thing when my oldest was a baby. No issues with security at all. They didn't even care that it was over the liquid amount because it's breast milk :)
The first thing he wanted to do when I got home was nurse.
Good luck! I know it's hard being separated, but it'll be ok!
cemcnair
by Courtney on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:06 PM
1 mom liked this
http://www.tsa.gov/traveling-formula-breast-milk-and-juice
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Everything should be fine. The milk is allowed in any amount.
Your baby will most likely be fine. Our babies do things for others that they will never do for us. Baby and Daddy will adjust and find their own way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
hnischke
by Heather on Oct. 7, 2013 at 1:52 PM
When I went through security the only bags of milk they needed to test were the bags over 4oz. They didn't care how many bags I had either.
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:39 PM
3 moms liked this

Baby will be fine. I make no similar assurances about the condition of your home when you return. **smile**

BEAT4
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:48 PM

When you say "test" do you mean they opened the sealed bags? Isn't that not good for the milk

If they are under 4oz they won't "test" them?

I normally pump 8-10oz at a time so will I need to split it up to make smaller quantities?

BEAT4
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 2:49 PM

I am pretty sure my house will look like a tornado hit it when I get back and nothing will be done. Heaven forbid he can watch a 5yr old and a 7 month old while keeping up the laundry and the dishes. I mean you must be a super-hero to do something like that... LOL

jbosworth
by on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:39 PM
I'm traveling soon too. But I'll be driving 6 hours qith my co-workers. I'll only be gone for a total of 36 hours. But I'm nervous.
Kathy489
by Bronze Member on Oct. 7, 2013 at 7:43 PM

Wow, any chance of taking baby and husband with you?? Wild horses wouldn't have been able to tear me away from my little one. How old is your baby?

gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 7, 2013 at 8:33 PM

Having been a road warrior in my breastfeeding days, let me reassure the nervous. Never a single problem with breastfeeding once I got home again, because I was pretty strict about the "no bottles when I'm home" rule.

Hardest part, really, was making the time to pump. Oh, and the gallstone attack on the Las Vegas Convention Center floor wasn't very fun, either. **smile**

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)