Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Antibiotics & thrush

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
  • 9 Replies
So Seb and I are both on antibiotics for strep throat. We have both also had thrush for about 3 weeks now. It has been controlled but not cured by nystatin. I ordered gen violet from Walgreens last week but it never came, they substituted it with something else...long story. Anyhow, my fear is that with the antibiotics, the thrush will get worse. Someone suggested probiotics. Will that help? Where do you get them? I know nothing about it!
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 8:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Probiotics will help, and they're available at any health food store. Same for the Gentian Violet.

bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:06 AM
If I ask for pro biotics for a baby, will they know what to give me? How do I give it to Seb?
notjstanothrmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:09 AM
Are you sure he has strep? It's extremely uncommon in babies under a year.

I would eat yogurt and take probiotic pills and if you give yogurt to your little one, that as well. You could always put it on your breasts as well after a feeding to keep yeast from breeding on your breast.

Feel better.
MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:07 PM
You can get probiotics in many forms. With powder (or opening a capsule) you xan dip your finger un breastmilk then powder andlet him suck it off. You can also put it on you own nipple and he'll get it while nursing.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:57 PM
Yes, he was tested yesterday. My daughter, Seb and I all have it :(

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

I would eat yogurt and take probiotic pills and if you give yogurt to your little one, that as well. You could always put it on your breasts as well after a feeding to keep yeast from breeding on your breast.

Feel better.
bebe_ju-rah
by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Put what on my nipples? Yogurt?

Quoting notjstanothrmom:

Feel better.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:02 PM
You can put the probiotic powder on your nipple and he will get it while nursing.
There are some made specifically for infants.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 6:27 PM

Quoting aehanrahan:

You can put the probiotic powder on your nipple and he will get it while nursing.
There are some made specifically for infants.

This! You can just break open the little capsules and put the powder on the nipple. Some are available in powder form (not in capsules) but it is also easy to just open the capsules.

tabi_cat1023
by Group Mod - Tabitha on Oct. 8, 2013 at 7:15 PM

Diflucan..get diflucan multiple pills from your doctor take yourself, get liquid diflucan for your LO

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN