Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

dairy free moms

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM
  • 27 Replies

So 5 days ago I gave up dairy. I'm trying really hard to not have any dairy what-so-ever. Reading labels, completely changing my diet (it's been really tough, but ds got this horrible rash, I'm still not convinced it's not from the vaccines he received 4 days prior to the rash developing but that's a different story, the dr said it looks like a food allergy. he's only breastfed so he suggested I go off dairy first) anyways..... besides losing 4lbs in 5 days! I've had a really upset stomach. Everyday. It's like I can't make it to the bathroom fast enough. Is this a side effect of cutting out all dairy or should I be watching out for a stomach bug??

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 10:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MommyO2-6631
by Leslie on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:00 AM
I felt weak and just not myself until I figured out what I could and could not eat. I joined a site called living without.com and found some delicious recipes without dairy. My son also became symptomactic shortly after his first round of vaccines and was symptomatic after every round... there is milk protein in some vaccines. We delayed them for a while and so far he has done well. We're also only doing one vaccine at a time. But my son did not develop a rash. He had bloody stools. Could be completely different.
K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 8, 2013 at 11:57 AM
Are you replacing dairy with anything you wouldn't normally eat? If so, the replacement could be causing your gi upset.
gumbeme06
by Sara on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:10 PM

I'll check that site out thanks :)

we're doing an alternative vax schedule. he gets dtap at 2,4,6 months and pcv and hib at 3,5,7. he had his second dose of pcv and hib 4 days prior to the rash. he didn't have bloody stools and I asked the doc if he was sure it looked like a dairy allergy because normally that's the first indication. and he said there are 2 types of dairy allergies?? and not every baby gets a bloody stool with it. so who knows.... his rash is almost all the way gone.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

I felt weak and just not myself until I figured out what I could and could not eat. I joined a site called living without.com and found some delicious recipes without dairy. My son also became symptomactic shortly after his first round of vaccines and was symptomatic after every round... there is milk protein in some vaccines. We delayed them for a while and so far he has done well. We're also only doing one vaccine at a time. But my son did not develop a rash. He had bloody stools. Could be completely different.

gumbeme06
by Sara on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:12 PM

I am now usuing vanilla almond milk in my coffee and cereal but that's the only thing I've added that is different. I've mainly just cut everything out and have been eating a lot of protien. but maybe the almond milk is just something I'm going to have to get use to

Quoting K8wizzo:

Are you replacing dairy with anything you wouldn't normally eat? If so, the replacement could be causing your gi upset.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:14 PM
It could be. Maybe try coconut milk instead? They're both yummy. Rice milk isn't worth it for me... yuck.

Quoting gumbeme06:

I am now usuing vanilla almond milk in my coffee and cereal but that's the only thing I've added that is different. I've mainly just cut everything out and have been eating a lot of protien. but maybe the almond milk is just something I'm going to have to get use to

Quoting K8wizzo:

gumbeme06
by Sara on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:20 PM

I tried coconut milk a couple months ago just for the heck of it because I love coconuts haha but I really didn't like it. I'm hoping it's just my bodies way of getting use to not having cheese as a staple for every meal haha

Quoting K8wizzo:

It could be. Maybe try coconut milk instead? They're both yummy. Rice milk isn't worth it for me... yuck.

Quoting gumbeme06:

Quoting K8wizzo:

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:28 PM
That was my other thought. Maybe add some more banana to your diet--it tends to have the same effect as cheese. :)

Quoting gumbeme06:

I tried coconut milk a couple months ago just for the heck of it because I love coconuts haha but I really didn't like it. I'm hoping it's just my bodies way of getting use to not having cheese as a staple for every meal haha

Quoting K8wizzo:

Quoting gumbeme06:

Quoting K8wizzo:

gumbeme06
by Sara on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:29 PM

I eat a banana every morning with my oatmeal :)
I'll try adding another in when I get home from work too.

Quoting K8wizzo:

That was my other thought. Maybe add some more banana to your diet--it tends to have the same effect as cheese. :)

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:31 PM
My kids have dairy allergies and never had blood in their stool. They had eczema, nasal congestion, frequent ear infections, gas, reflux, and in my oldest's case occasional projectile vomiting. Any one of those symptoms can indicate a dairy allergy; tgey don't have to happen all together.

Quoting gumbeme06:

we're doing an alternative vax schedule. he gets dtap at 2,4,6 months and pcv and hib at 3,5,7. he had his second dose of pcv and hib 4 days prior to the rash. he didn't have bloody stools and I asked the doc if he was sure it looked like a dairy allergy because normally that's the first indication. and he said there are 2 types of dairy allergies?? and not every baby gets a bloody stool with it. so who knows.... his rash is almost all the way gone.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

gumbeme06
by Sara on Oct. 8, 2013 at 1:35 PM

oh ok!! I wasn't sure because all anyone ever talks about is the bloody poop with dairy allergies. the rash covered his entire body. it didn't seem to bother him too much, just red bumps everywhere.
I've heard it can take up to 3 weeks for your body to be completely free of dairy do you know if this is true?? it's been 5 days so far

Quoting K8wizzo:

My kids have dairy allergies and never had blood in their stool. They had eczema, nasal congestion, frequent ear infections, gas, reflux, and in my oldest's case occasional projectile vomiting. Any one of those symptoms can indicate a dairy allergy; tgey don't have to happen all together.

Quoting gumbeme06:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN