Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

simethicone, gripe water?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM
  • 11 Replies

So my baby is doing the periodic scrunching and screaming and I just have this strong hunch it's intestinal issues -- it often seems to come before a big diaper or gas.  But then sometimes I wonder if all the screaming brought that on!

The first night I tried simethicone he had so so much poop.  I'm not sure if that was a good or a bad thing but the next time it didn't seem to make as drastic of a difference.  I'm kind of leaning against trying it anymore because it definitely wasn't an automatic happy baby.

Massage isn't going over too well.  Sometimes he likes the bicycling but it doesn't do any kind of dramatic obvious winding of him.  I'm scared to try gripe water after reading mixed reviews and I don't want to mess up his intestinal flora and make things even worse.  

by on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:13 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
mostlymaydays
by Group Mod-Stacy on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:23 PM

I never had any luck with the mylicon drops or any gripe water. I actually had a pediatrician tell me to give the baby a shot of kool-aid because the sucrose would chipper up his mood and was the same thing as gripe water. Yeah, didn't try that. :-(  It took me until my third baby to realize that all the gas and discomfort my babies had was actually caused by oversupply and overactive letdown. And the digestive system is one of the last to "turn on" so those unpleasant sensations of hunger and gas and the cramping of intestines as it moves that liquid poop through, can make some babies really super miserable. 

I know people who swear by gripe water. I tried several different kinds. One smelled like pickle juice and tasted like black licorice. :-( Some formulas have alcohol so I sure understand your hesitiation. 

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:26 PM
I wouldn't use either. How old is your baby? Gassiness is completely normal and will eventually subside. Those "remedies" don't really help. Keep doing the bicycling and massage. Do you have an overactive letdown and/or oversupply? That is the most common cause of excess gassiness in babies.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SRUsarahSC
by Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:27 PM

Gripe water worked wonders on my little one. We could literally hear it popping the gas bubbles in her tummy.

maggiemom2000
by Ruby Member on Oct. 8, 2013 at 9:35 PM

Quoting aehanrahan:

I wouldn't use either. How old is your baby? Gassiness is completely normal and will eventually subside. Those "remedies" don't really help. Keep doing the bicycling and massage. Do you have an overactive letdown and/or oversupply? That is the most common cause of excess gassiness in babies.

This ^^!

How old is baby?

Can you tell us a weight history?

MusherMaggie
by Platinum Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:39 AM
Look up overactive letdown/oversupply on kellymom.com and see if anything sounds familiar. If so, she tells you how to manage it.
lello
by Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:14 AM

My baby is almost 6 weeks.  I haven't had him weighed in a couple of weeks but I know he has plenty of diapers (12 on a slow day) and is growing.  He lost 11% weight and had jaundice so they started me pumping at the hospital which may have started oversupply but I never leak and I don't have a lot of the symptoms listed on kellymom.  He generally loves comfort nursing too and the past couple of days are pretty much the only time he's cried at the breast though he's done coughing before.  Before that was pretty much the magic solution to anything!  Even crying he doesn't want to unlatch though and will cry around the latch.  And it's not an every feeding thing but he's just been fussier these past days. 

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:50 AM
Diapers are excellent and do indicate some oversupply. That will calm down over time as your supply regulates. Crying at the breast is growth spurt behavior and 6 weeks is prime time for it. Avoid gripe water as it can throw off baby's electrolyte balance, which can be very serious or even fatal.

Quoting lello:

My baby is almost 6 weeks.  I haven't had him weighed in a couple of weeks but I know he has plenty of diapers (12 on a slow day) and is growing.  He lost 11% weight and had jaundice so they started me pumping at the hospital which may have started oversupply but I never leak and I don't have a lot of the symptoms listed on kellymom.  He generally loves comfort nursing too and the past couple of days are pretty much the only time he's cried at the breast though he's done coughing before.  Before that was pretty much the magic solution to anything!  Even crying he doesn't want to unlatch though and will cry around the latch.  And it's not an every feeding thing but he's just been fussier these past days. 

MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:42 AM
I tried gripe water with.DS.
Made him puke all day!
But everyone I know swears by.it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
destiny3513
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:10 AM
I tried gripe water, he vomited everywhere. Eventually I realized I had oal. Tummy time, bicycles, and tummy rubs after every meal helped and he's grown out of it now.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:19 PM
My oldest didn't show any signs of OAL/OS except spitting up and extreme gassiness in the evenings. I didn't know about this stuff 12 years ago and just dealt with it however I could. Knowing what I do now, I know it was due to OAL/OS and changing the nursing position and block feeding would have helped.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)