Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

a couple problems

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM
  • 18 Replies
Well, I did have overactive letdown, fixed that with u guys' help. Now baby got a cold and didn't eat so much and now I don't have enough. Like he had been eating 2-2 1/2oz every feeding, like that's how much I'd pump and he ate it good. Now Ihave to keep switching breast and pump for like 20mins to force out 1 - 1 1/2oz like Evey 4-5hrs. Right b4 this change in eating and milk supply he changed from eating 20mins every 3 or 4 he's to 10-15mins every 2hrs and now he will only eat 5mins every hr and I have to make him or he'll only eat that to maybe 10 mins every 1 to 3 hours. If this is confusing please let me know. Also his pooping has gone back to runny yellow and a lot of it at least 3 diapers a day and today there was a wide skid mark of green in one of them. I'm worried about his nutrition again, plz help
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:57 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
GoodyBrook
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:21 AM

As babies age, they become more efficient "suckers" and need less time at the breast to get the amount that they require.

polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:31 AM
Here's my advice, stop the pumping and the bottles for a few days. Don't look at the clock unless you have to be somewhere. It doesn't matter how long baby spends nursing or how frequently he wants to nurse. Count diapers starting from one morning to the next as you figure out if your bottles caused a dip in supply. After you spend a few days just nursing, start pumping once a day every morning in addition to pumping every time you let someone else give a bottle. I think the main cause for the fussiness you're dealing with now is flow preference. Also, I know this sounds mean, but stop sleeping through bottles. I'm not saying you do it a lot, but it's not a good thing to do.
Once they get a bit older they get a lot better at nursing. Have you ever watched a toddler eat? They take soooo long, but I can eat a sandwich in a few minutes. You don't have to make him nurse. He will nurse when he's hungry and stop when he's full.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:06 AM

Quoting Nynnie:

Like he had been eating 2-2 1/2oz every feeding, like that's how much I'd pump and he ate it good.
You mean you were pumping and feeding him a bottle? Or are you gauging what he takes at the breast by what you put in a bottle/ Because the latter actually won't be correct. Baby takes more at the breast.
Now Ihave to keep switching breast and pump for like 20mins to force out 1 - 1 1/2oz like Evey 4-5hrs.
Again, I need to know if you're exclusively pumping. If not, then that's fine and nothign to worry about. If you are exclusively pumping, no less than every two hours on the pump.
Right b4 this change in eating and milk supply he changed from eating 20mins every 3 or 4 he's to 10-15mins every 2hrs
Normal.
and now he will only eat 5mins every hr and I have to make him or he'll only eat that to maybe 10 mins every 1 to 3 hours.
Normal too.
If this is confusing please let me know. Also his pooping has gone back to runny yellow and a lot of it at least 3 diapers a day
At least 3 poop diapers a day or three TOTAL? How old is he? If he's in the first two months, I'd be looking for at least six changes in 24 hours and big poopy dipes count as two.
and today there was a wide skid mark of green in one of them. I'm worried about his nutrition again, plz help

Everything sounds good to me. The poop should be runny yellow.

I'm only confused by the ounce references. WHen baby's at the breast the only thing you count is diapers. If you have baby at the breast. no need to pump at all unless you're going to be leaving him.

aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:07 PM
I agree with this!

Quoting polkaspots:

Here's my advice, stop the pumping and the bottles for a few days. Don't look at the clock unless you have to be somewhere. It doesn't matter how long baby spends nursing or how frequently he wants to nurse. Count diapers starting from one morning to the next as you figure out if your bottles caused a dip in supply. After you spend a few days just nursing, start pumping once a day every morning in addition to pumping every time you let someone else give a bottle. I think the main cause for the fussiness you're dealing with now is flow preference. Also, I know this sounds mean, but stop sleeping through bottles. I'm not saying you do it a lot, but it's not a good thing to do.

Once they get a bit older they get a lot better at nursing. Have you ever watched a toddler eat? They take soooo long, but I can eat a sandwich in a few minutes. You don't have to make him nurse. He will nurse when he's hungry and stop when he's full.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:08 PM
This too.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Nynnie:

Like he had been eating 2-2 1/2oz every feeding, like that's how much I'd pump and he ate it good.
You mean you were pumping and feeding him a bottle? Or are you gauging what he takes at the breast by what you put in a bottle/ Because the latter actually won't be correct. Baby takes more at the breast.
Now Ihave to keep switching breast and pump for like 20mins to force out 1 - 1 1/2oz like Evey 4-5hrs.
Again, I need to know if you're exclusively pumping. If not, then that's fine and nothign to worry about. If you are exclusively pumping, no less than every two hours on the pump.
Right b4 this change in eating and milk supply he changed from eating 20mins every 3 or 4 he's to 10-15mins every 2hrs
Normal.
and now he will only eat 5mins every hr and I have to make him or he'll only eat that to maybe 10 mins every 1 to 3 hours.
Normal too.
If this is confusing please let me know. Also his pooping has gone back to runny yellow and a lot of it at least 3 diapers a day
At least 3 poop diapers a day or three TOTAL? How old is he? If he's in the first two months, I'd be looking for at least six changes in 24 hours and big poopy dipes count as two.
and today there was a wide skid mark of green in one of them. I'm worried about his nutrition again, plz help

I'm only confused by the ounce references. WHen baby's at the breast the only thing you count is diapers. If you have baby at the breast. no need to pump at all unless you're going to be leaving him.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nynnie
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:14 PM
K thanx, but y then do I get less from pumping?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

As babies age, they become more efficient "suckers" and need less time at the breast to get the amount that they require.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Nynnie
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:23 PM
I don't think the bottles caused a dip in supply, I usually always pump whenever he has a bottle. We've been using them since he was a week old, I just went through having an over supply problem I had to get down. I don't often get to sleep through a bottle as I have to fix it for everyone but my husband and when I did(and when baby would sleep for 6hrs) I would be too full and leak through my breast pads, I would have to pump a bit before feeding him too. Now I only feel full enough after he sleeps for the 5 or 6 he nighttime sleep.
I have been keeping track of his diapers, he pees enough and has more poop than most people say he should. It's just weird cuz I know the supply went down

Quoting polkaspots:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fortressmom
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:40 PM

I don't think your supply went down at all. Pump amounts vary and as baby gets older it's common for the amount you can pump to dwindle too. Our boies are made to respond to our babies, not machines. I really don't see an issue here at all:)

Nynnie
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:03 PM
I switch between breast and bottle, it used to be I would get around 2 oz every time it would be time to feed him if he was eating some from the fridge or I pumped during his long sleep.
He probably has about 10 diapers a day, at least three of them with a lot of poop.
The main reason I pump to take a break from him sucking it is because I get very sore, the whole area he takes in his mouth turns bright pink and the area around the nipple get white bumps and it'll start burning if I feed him every 1-2 hours.

Quoting gdiamante:

Quoting Nynnie:

Normal.
Normal too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Because that's normal. Pump output does drop.

Quoting Nynnie:

K thanx, but y then do I get less from pumping?

Quoting GoodyBrook:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)