Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

Hello all...

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM
  • 4 Replies
I haven't been really active in this group since I stopped nursing my son forever ago. But now I'm 35 weeks and getting ready to embark on this journey once again. I wasn't as prepared as I thought last time and as a result I stopped earlier then I wanted to. Anywho I just have a few questions:

1) Any tips or things I should be doing now to prepare for breastfeeding?

2) I'm returning to work full time and baby will be in daycare so I have to store milk for that, what's the best way to nurse baby and pump for storage?

3) Any suggestions on herbs, smoothies, teas, etc that will increase my supply?

4) What storage method works best....those plastic bottles or bags?

This may be a lot of questions but I feel like I'm brand new to this....feel free to post any other information you think I may need to know.....thanks in advance!!!!
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
GoodyBrook
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:29 AM

The only thing I'd recommend is that you don't worry about how to boost your supply UNTIL you KNOW that you have low supply.  There's no sense in throwing away good money on supplements that you don't need!

Nika87
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 7:51 AM
Bump
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Quoting Nika87:

1) Any tips or things I should be doing now to prepare for breastfeeding?
Feed your head. Stock upon info. This site, kellymom.com, "So That's What They're For" by Janet Tamaro.

2) I'm returning to work full time and baby will be in daycare so I have to store milk for that, what's the best way to nurse baby and pump for storage?
Nurse on one side, pump on the other duriong the first nursing every day. You don't need a lot stored; baby's daily need is 1 - 1.25 ounces x # of hours you're gone. So for an eight hour day it's 1 x 8 = 8 ounces or 1.25 x 8 = 10 ounces. Split 'em into servings of about three ounces, given about every 2-3 hours.
3) Any suggestions on herbs, smoothies, teas, etc that will increase my supply?
Don't worry about those unless you have supply problems. Really. We have info in our resources sticky. But most moms never have to do a thing but nurse on demand and drink their liquids. 64 ounces a day.
4) What storage method works best....those plastic bottles or bags?
Depends on your storage space. Bags take up less of it. EITHER is perfectly fine.
aehanrahan
by Group Mod - Amy on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:24 PM
What they said! ^^^

The only thing I'll add is to nurse at drop off and pick up. Then leave 2-3 ounces to be given every 2-3 hours between those nursing sessions.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)