Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Breastfeeding Moms Breastfeeding Moms

foods with vitamin D?

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:40 AM
  • 23 Replies
So yesterday at DS 9 months check up lots went on! Breif summary, hearing needs to be checked which is no surprise. They said from the start because his right ear didn't develop right and he is showing hearing loss possibly. Could be the reason for his speech delays
Eyes check because his left eye turns. Another non surprise, its genetic. My dad had surgery as a baby for it, I wore glasses my whole childhood for it and still have a wonky eye as an adult.
and we got an early intervention referral because DS has some delays and possible regression.

Now on to the vitamin d.... his legs are bowing. She said instead of recommending the drops she is insisting he have them. She is.concerned about rickets. But since he is eating solids now can I just boost up on foods with vitamin d?
What are the best?

He is 9 months.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 8:40 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM
1 mom liked this

Honest, I would do the "Simply D" drops. Put the dropper far back in his mouth; it makes it harder for him to spit it out.

Here's a list of some vit D foods, from WebMD:

It's a lot harder to get enough vitamin D from foods. Vitamin D is only in a few foods and often in very small amounts. Foods that provide vitamin D include:

• Fatty fish, like tuna, mackerel, and salmon
  • Foods fortified with vitamin D, like some dairy products, orange juice, soy milk, and cereals
  • Beef liver
  • Cheese
  • Egg yolks

Getting enough vitamin D from your diet isn't easy. Studies show that typically only about 20% of our vitamin D comes from the foods we eat.   

Your body can make vitamin D on its own. When you walk out into the sunlight with exposed skin, your body naturally produces vitamin D.

K8wizzo
by Kate on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:16 AM
Foods are not a good source of vitamin d, but tge sun is. Take him outside in the sunshine for 15 to 20 minutes every dau.
307mama
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm all for the early intervention :) but I work for such a program, go mom!

I'm using the drops with my little one too and we spend time outside. But I only use the drops if we didn't get good outside time. Or it's a clouds day. But we aren't to earring foods yet too.
MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM
He has issues with outside. I will look in to the simply d drops though :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:26 AM
1 mom liked this
Sunlight is the best way of getting vitamin D. It's the most effective way I know of for raising vit d levels.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:28 AM
Its making me feel like a failure.
I know she said the speech delay can be from the hearing loss if there is really any. But I still feel like crap because I can't teach my child :(
My daughter was always ahead, and I feel like I failed somewhere with him.

Quoting 307mama:

I'm all for the early intervention :) but I work for such a program, go mom!

I'm using the drops with my little one too and we spend time outside. But I only use the drops if we didn't get good outside time. Or it's a clouds day. But we aren't to earring foods yet too.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:29 AM
Guess little man will just have to deal for a bit each day :(
He hates outside! Lol.

Quoting polkaspots:

Sunlight is the best way of getting vitamin D. It's the most effective way I know of for raising vit d levels.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
polkaspots
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:35 AM
I've never heard of a little one not liking outside. At that age both of my kids loved crawling around in the grass picking up rocks and sticks and stuff.

Quoting MIA0223:

He hates outside! Lol.

Quoting polkaspots:Sunlight is the best way of getting vitamin D. It's the most effective way I know of for raising vit d levels.

MIA0223
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:44 AM
MyDD did too. He honestly has a comfort zone and if we leave his zone or routine he is just thrown for a loop!

Quoting polkaspots:

I've never heard of a little one not liking outside. At that age both of my kids loved crawling around in the grass picking up rocks and sticks and stuff.

Quoting MIA0223:

He hates outside! Lol.

Quoting polkaspots:Sunlight is the best way of getting vitamin D. It's the most effective way I know of for raising vit d levels.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gdiamante
by Group Mod - Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 9:48 AM

Hmm.. that sounds like autism spectrum. Glad you're getting the early intervention. It can really make a difference.

And know that YOU DID NOT FAIL HIM. 

Here's one bit of reading that can be helpful when you start thinking words like "failure:" http://www.our-kids.org/Archives/Holland.html

Quoting MIA0223:

MyDD did too. He honestly has a comfort zone and if we leave his zone or routine he is just thrown for a loop!

Quoting polkaspots:

Quoting MIA0223:

He hates outside! Lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)