Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

supply drop

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
  • 13 Replies

ok I'm sure this has been asked a million times.... but I gave up dairy almost a week ago. I have noticed a significant drop in my supply. (I know pumping out put doesn't indicate what your supply is) but I am a full time working mom..... I have always had oversupply and donate half the milk I pump. Normally I am able to pump betweek 14-18oz during my morning pumping session and 5-7oz during each of my 2 after noon session. well since giving up dairy I'm lucky to get 10oz in the morning and only about 4oz during each afternoon session... is this related to not having dairy??? (I know I am still lucky to be able to express what I am getting now) but I will have to stop donating if I am bringing home less that 20oz a day (I send 14oz with ds to the sitter a day. I am gone 10hours, and I like to have a back up stash in the freezer in case something happens. I want to make sure I have enough to feed him for a week)

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gumbeme06
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:10 AM

oh and ds is 5.5 months old. he hasn't started any solids yet. and I haven't changed anything in our routines. I drink a ton of water, and have substituted almond milk for things I would usually have cow milk with. I have also lost 4-5lbs this past week (I'm guessing directly related to no dair) I'm just wondering if I need to up my calorie intake with the new foods I'm eating or what.

audmom1218
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:15 AM
I'm guessing normal supply regulation.
gumbeme06
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:32 AM
But I've had the sane pumping output since returning to work almost 3 months ago. I don't know why it would suddenly change except for the fact my diet has done a 180

Quoting audmom1218:

I'm guessing normal supply regulation.
audmom1218
by Gold Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:41 AM
My supply drops were never gradual, all out of the blue. 6mo went from 24oz to 16 oz per session, 8mo dropped from 16-12 and 12mo 12 to 4.

That being said 14 oz is a lot for only being gone 10hrs. If he is nursing less he is also demanding less and since you know he is much more efficient than the pump, your body has less of a demand therefore slow down on supply. It's very difficult to keep pump supply up, which is why not many moms can pump full time.
What pump is it?

If you haven't changed your membranes recently I would check that as well. Your hydration is another to check (I was a water fiend, drinking over a gallon daily) . But I personally doubt it's your diet.
gumbeme06
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:47 AM
I have a hygeia enjoye. I just changed the membranes last week.
14oz follows the 1-1.5oz for every hour I'm away from him rule
He still nurses like a fiend when I'm home with him and we cosleep and he nurses thought out the night.
I go through 4 16oz cups of water while I'm at work and who knows how much while at home ha ha water is the only thing I drink.
Maybe my supple is just slowing down ?? :(

Quoting audmom1218:

My supply drops were never gradual, all out of the blue. 6mo went from 24oz to 16 oz per session, 8mo dropped from 16-12 and 12mo 12 to 4.

That being said 14 oz is a lot for only being gone 10hrs. If he is nursing less he is also demanding less and since you know he is much more efficient than the pump, your body has less of a demand therefore slow down on supply. It's very difficult to keep pump supply up, which is why not many moms can pump full time.

What pump is it?

If you haven't changed your membranes recently I would check that as well. Your hydration is another to check (I was a water fiend, drinking over a gallon daily) . But I personally doubt it's your diet.
cp428
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 11:53 AM

With my daughter, I had supply regulation around 6 months and 9 months where I saw a drop in my pumping output, so it's possible :(

gumbeme06
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:02 PM
I know I'm still producing more than enough to feed my son I just want to be able to keep donating. I've donated 600oz so far and was hoping to be able to donate at least another 600 more. I don't remember having a supply drop like this with my daughter because I only had to pump once when I worked and it was only like 4 nights a week (I was a waitress with her and my shifts were only like 4-5 hours) so working full time is all new to me with a baby (I've been at my current job for 2 years now)

Quoting cp428:

With my daughter, I had supply regulation around 6 months and 9 months where I saw a drop in my pumping output, so it's possible :(

cp428
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:12 PM

I totally understand :( It's awesome that you've been able to donate so much so far though! I guess try whatever you can (drink more water, oatmeal, fenugreek, etc) & see if you can get the supply back up so that hopefully you can continue donating. I worked full time and pumped 3 times a day. When I had my first drop around 6 months, the fenugreek & lactation cookies did help for a while, but it never went all the way back to what I had before. Can't hurt to try though.

Quoting gumbeme06:

I know I'm still producing more than enough to feed my son I just want to be able to keep donating. I've donated 600oz so far and was hoping to be able to donate at least another 600 more. I don't remember having a supply drop like this with my daughter because I only had to pump once when I worked and it was only like 4 nights a week (I was a waitress with her and my shifts were only like 4-5 hours) so working full time is all new to me with a baby (I've been at my current job for 2 years now)

Quoting cp428:

lifeforchrist
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:15 PM

its normal supply regulation. Your body won't make over supply forever. It will probably continue yo drop. Are you pumping at work? You can add some more pumping sessions to make up for it. It isn't related to diet. Diet has virtually 0 effect on supply.

gumbeme06
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 12:25 PM
I eat oatmeal every morning. If lactation cookies have dairy in them I can't eat them .

Quoting cp428:

I totally understand :( It's awesome that you've been able to donate so much so far though! I guess try whatever you can (drink more water, oatmeal, fenugreek, etc) & see if you can get the supply back up so that hopefully you can continue donating. I worked full time and pumped 3 times a day. When I had my first drop around 6 months, the fenugreek & lactation cookies did help for a while, but it never went all the way back to what I had before. Can't hurt to try though.

Quoting gumbeme06:

Quoting cp428:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)