Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Less Boob...More Food!

Posted by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
  • 24 Replies

So, my little one is 15 months old and I do believe he is weaning himself. He goes pretty much the WHOLE day with no boob. Maybe it is because I have started feeding him more food? I try to feed him every 2-3 hours. He gets breakfast about thirty minutes to an hour after he wakes up...or when he comes to mommy demanding booby. He gets about five ounces of whole milk with his breakfast. About 2-3 hours later, or whenever he starts acting hungry, I give him a snack. He only drinks maybe 2 ounces of whole milk with his snack. Snack is usually something light like maybe cheesy eggs or toast or some graham crackers...whatever he is in the mood for. His lunch is usually around 12:00-2:00 pm. It depends on when he wakes up in the morning. And then it is another snack after his nap...which is usually around 3:00-5:00 pm. If we wakes up close enough to dinner time, I don't usually give him a snack because dinner is at 5:00 pm. After dinner, he usually lightly snacks on his little banana cookies or something like that until bed time.

Does this sound normal? Over all through the day, he gets about 20 ounces of whole milk a day. At 14 months, he was only drinking maybe 10 ounces. So he's drinking more milk than normal. I've cut out juice, except for like 2 ounces of it last night. He should probably be getting some water but his pedi said not to let him walk around with a sippy cup. I usually give him a few sips out of my water bottle.

He's running around, trying to talk, and is very active. He LOVES staring at people.

CafeMom Tickers

by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:31 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:51 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, all normal stuff. If you're not comfortable with him weaning, then reduce the amount of other stuff. But your'e fine.

MusherMaggie
by Ruby Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM
2 moms liked this
I nursed rather than giving mine whole milk, because I felt my milk was better absorbed. My son had some problems with cow's milk also, and it tended to constipate my daughter. If you'd rather him nurse more, I would recommend cutting back the cow's milk.
JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:55 PM

I'm actually quite fine with weaning. I just wasn't expecting him to make the switch so suddenly! One day, he was nursing about 5-6 times a day and the next he was down to like 2 times a day. He still wakes up pretty frequently at night to nurse though.

Quoting gdiamante:

Yes, all normal stuff. If you're not comfortable with him weaning, then reduce the amount of other stuff. But your'e fine.

CafeMom Tickers

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 1:57 PM

He hasn't had trouble with whole milk. It's one of the reasons I held off on whole milk till he was over a year...which I think it is recommended to do that anyway.

I really do think it is time for us to wean. He's getting old enough and he's actually gone to bed twice in the past week without needing the booby.

Quoting MusherMaggie:

I nursed rather than giving mine whole milk, because I felt my milk was better absorbed. My son had some problems with cow's milk also, and it tended to constipate my daughter. If you'd rather him nurse more, I would recommend cutting back the cow's milk.

CafeMom Tickers

MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 2:21 PM
Have you had his lip tie checked out?
gdiamante
by Gina on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:11 PM

Be aware that this is a very changeable period. He may one day decide he wants no solids and to nurse only. That often happens in reaction to conquering a milestone.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

I'm actually quite fine with weaning. I just wasn't expecting him to make the switch so suddenly! One day, he was nursing about 5-6 times a day and the next he was down to like 2 times a day. He still wakes up pretty frequently at night to nurse though.

Quoting gdiamante:

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

No, sadly not. I was doing some research and I do not think he would be able to go unless he was referred by his pedi. And she refuses to ackodgledge the fact that he even has one!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

CafeMom Tickers

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:21 PM

Oh lord. I hope he doesn't decide to do that! I'm actually enjoying him NOT being attached to my 24/7.

Quoting gdiamante:

Be aware that this is a very changeable period. He may one day decide he wants no solids and to nurse only. That often happens in reaction to conquering a milestone.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting gdiamante:

CafeMom Tickers

MommyO2-6631
by on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:22 PM
You do not need a referral to a dentist. Just ask when you call if they're familiar with lip ties.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

No, sadly not. I was doing some research and I do not think he would be able to go unless he was referred by his pedi. And she refuses to ackodgledge the fact that he even has one!

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

JenniferMiller0
by Bronze Member on Oct. 9, 2013 at 3:24 PM

Oh, well okay then! I'm gonna start calling dentists in our area. I'll probalby have to travel a bit as I don't think any of the dentists near us will see children under two. Oh, his teeth are looking a little better. I've started brushing his teeth twice a day instead of only once.

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

You do not need a referral to a dentist. Just ask when you call if they're familiar with lip ties.

Quoting JenniferMiller0:

Quoting MommyO2-6631:

CafeMom Tickers

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)